Votes
Reza Tashakori
  • Los Angeles, CA
Votes |
Los Angeles County Single Family Development

Reza Tashakori
  • Los Angeles, CA
Posted Apr 1 2016, 05:40

I decided to start this discussion to share and collaborate my progress in Single Family dwelling development in Los Angeles area.

My Background:

As a Designer and a project Architect through the years, I had the experience of working on several mid to large scale projects. I was involved in schematic design, design development, construction documentation, entitlement, obtaining building clearances, construction admin, answering RFIs from contractors and etc. Projects that I worked on were mostly commercial for privately funded projects and some for department of states as the entitlement process is different for those ones.

Currently I created the project schedule and steps that clearly delineate steps needed to be taken for my SFR investment development. I currently have two lots under escrow. Both are in hillside area so I'm doing the due diligence too see what are the additional necessary clearances that I need to obtain. 

Per Zimas report in LA county both lots are in hillside area. Per "Baseline Hillside Ordinance" there are many restrictions on hillside lots since 2011. Aside from the set back requirements that are fair the biggest disadvantage of hillside land is the floor area that you can build. 

The ordinance’s proposed FAR (building size to lot size ratio) that is based on lot size, zone, and steepness of slopes on the property. The portion of the lot slope (Slope Band interval) zero percent to 14.99 percent (14.99 ft. rise for each 100 ft. length) would be treated the same as the Baseline Mansionization Ordinance. The other Slope Band intervals are 15-29.99%, 30-44.99%, 45-59.99%, 60-99.99%, and 100+%, which gradually reduces the FAR based on the steepness of the lot.   A survey is currently required for a hillside lot. 

For RE15 zoning the build able area for less than 60 percent slope is 20 percent and for 60 plus slope is 15 percent of the total lot size . Per my knowledge floor area means any floor that is covered from outside and has a ceiling so floor area is the total square footage of the building. This means if I close on my 15,000 SF lot in Bell Air I can build only a 2,500 SF house. I'm open to hear any comments on this. 

Loading replies...