Construction Costs Measurement for SFR

8 Replies

I have a lot that I am looking to develop into a tract of Single Family homes. I have ran very rough numbers and good profit in the deal. However I am a little uncomfortable with my construction costs since I have never done SFR. Just for simplicity I have about $175-200/sq ft for construction of the SFR units, this is based off of commercial I have done. If anyone has a way they estimate construction costs or a program they use if they are not a contractor or estimator? Located in Southern California FYI

So many variables in this.....

I am putting about $100-$110/ft in mine, but I am on the opposite coast. 

Not enough information.  I've used everywhere between $60/sf and $300/sf, depending on the location, type of house, design, etc.

@J Scott @Keith Bloemendaal

Property is Located in LA County.  I am figuring more track homes rather than custom.  However I am thinking a smaller footprint to maximize usage.  Single Story with basic finishing, no marble floors or anything like that.  Composite roof.  Probably 1500-1800 sq ft per home with attached garage. On slab, type 4 construction

That help at all?

Originally posted by @Jonathan Orr :

@J Scott @Keith Bloemendaal

Property is Located in LA County.  I am figuring more track homes rather than custom.  However I am thinking a smaller footprint to maximize usage.  Single Story with basic finishing, no marble floors or anything like that.  Composite roof.  Probably 1500-1800 sq ft per home with attached garage. On slab, type 4 construction

That help at all?

Unfortunately, I'm not familiar with prices in southern CA.  I price out some new construction in northern CA (Bay Area) at about $300/sf, but prices down south could be much different.  Also, will depend on level of finishes, as low-end (or high-end) finishes could literally cut your per-sf prices in half (or double them).

Also, keep in mind that smaller houses will tend to have higher per-sf costs, simply because larger houses have more empty space, and empty space is a lot cheaper than kitchens, bathrooms, walls, etc.

200 in LA county is good enough, I have did one estimate on 19-20 apartment at 1000-1200 sf per, and it costs about 1.2M on hard construction, so your SFR is about there, also custom and tract is not much different, tract is just more productive and has lesser quality finishes. Given that it has only minimal disposal on dirt and on flat land or minimal slope, then 200 should be fine. you can build a mediocre house at 150/sf on flat land in LAC, that yields like laminate counter and etc.

@Manolo D. Appreciate the help.  I took the 200 from past apartments I have underwritten and thought they are a similar setup with finishes.

Just one added question, would you use the 200 per ft for lets say a 2nd story addition to a home, needing to reinforce foundation and go for a higher quality finishes (maybe 1000 sq ft beds and baths upstairs).

@Jonathan Orr Is it a flat land? Has crawl space? etc? Some houses you have to belly crawl, some you can work standing, that's a big price diff, but usually we work with 7-15k on foundation reinforcement, usually 10k is plenty if you have a 28" crawl space, 3-5k on regular bath, and 120-150/sf on others. I start to worry if building goes to 4th story. plus soft costs of course. 

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here