How Would You Structure This Deal: You Own The Lot

How Would You Structure This Deal: You Own The Lot

Real Estate Broker · Naples, FL · Member since 2013 · 9k+ posts · 6k+ votes

Curious as to the best way to structure a deal. You own the lot. You want a builder to come in and do the build. Then you sell the product and both get paid off. Houses in the neighborhood are up to 1M or slighly more.. The lot is worth about 400K. This lot is oversize allowing a bigger footprint, etc. Anyone have any thoughts or suggestions? I am advertising the lot on the BP market place currently. 

0Reply
17 views

Most Popular Reply

Chicago, IL · Member since 2014 · 710 posts · 200 votes
9y

I think it's possible to find a GC to run with your original plan if you add them to title. 

 However I like the suggestions better of a construction loan with hired GC as your profitability should be much higher in the transaction.  Why give up 50% of the profits?  

GC aside you still need to be very involved.  The floor plan, finishes, selling price will determine if you sell the property in days with multiple offers or it sits for months with multiple price drops.   If your not good at the finishes I would hire a design consultant to pick the finishes given the end sales price

See this reply in the discussion

15 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Chris SeveneyBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Investor · VA · Member since 2015 · 21k+ posts · 19k+ votes
    9y

    @John Thedford - You will not get a builder to build a home without getting $ while the work is being completed. What I would recommend is talk to a bank about getting a construction loan which should not be an issue if you own the lot and it is paid off. 

    7e investments53 Reviews
  • Real Estate Broker · Naples, FL · Member since 2013 · 9k+ posts · 6k+ votes
    9y

    @Chris Seveney

    Yes sir the lot is free and clear. I don't know the construction business. I assume I would have to pay a retail price whereas if I found a builder to partner on it we could both make some money. Maybe I am wrong because this is not anything I have experience with.

    @Jay Hinrichs may have some advice?

  • Jay HinrichsBusiness Member
    Real Estate Consultant · Summerlin, NV · Member since 2014 · 45k+ posts · 66k+ votes
    9y

    HIre a GC on a fee basis.. make them show you all the sub bids.. Pay all subs direct..

    give them a good enough fee to make it worth their while.. make sure you get an experienced GC

  • Chris SeveneyBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Investor · VA · Member since 2015 · 21k+ posts · 19k+ votes
    9y

    @John Thedford

    I would either follow what Jay says or hire a 3rd party construction manager who will write and oversee the contracts and construction.  It the deal is going to be over a $1M deal, paying someone $25-$50k to act on your behalf and your best interests may be well worth it. 

    whatever you do, do not try and go out it alone. I have seen friends of mine attempt to go out it alone and lose their shirts because they were too stubborn to ask for help.

    7e investments53 Reviews
  • Real Estate Broker · Naples, FL · Member since 2013 · 9k+ posts · 6k+ votes
    9y

    Thanks to both of you. I did have one guy give me a bid that scared me. It sound way too low so I was concerned with what I was getting. I will take both of yours advice before I move forward. I intend to 1031 out of this deal once complete. 

  • Developer · Garland, TX · Member since 2008 · 8k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    9y

    What price did the contractor give you? How many square feet? What do new homes there sell for per square feet 

  • Chicago, IL · Member since 2014 · 710 posts · 200 votes
    9y

    I think it's possible to find a GC to run with your original plan if you add them to title. 

     However I like the suggestions better of a construction loan with hired GC as your profitability should be much higher in the transaction.  Why give up 50% of the profits?  

    GC aside you still need to be very involved.  The floor plan, finishes, selling price will determine if you sell the property in days with multiple offers or it sits for months with multiple price drops.   If your not good at the finishes I would hire a design consultant to pick the finishes given the end sales price

  • Developer · Garland, TX · Member since 2008 · 8k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    9y

    "give them a good enough fee to make it worth their while.. make sure you get an experienced GC"

    @Jay Hinrichs What would you pay the GC? A percentage of build cost?

  • Jay HinrichsBusiness Member
    Real Estate Consultant · Summerlin, NV · Member since 2014 · 45k+ posts · 66k+ votes
    9y

    @John Thedford  I would check with a 1031  consultant and make sure this can be done in this configuration.. when you build homes to sell to the public its usually inventory.  but I don't know your situation of course.

    and I did want to clarify.  that my advice was based on you getting a construction loan.. lender will want to know GC is Solid.

    I would NOT put a builder on title at all.. to many things can go wrong... keep control.. even if you have to pay a little more.. if builder is bringing nothing more than experience.. just keep him or her as a paid consultant.  GC fee's vary by region.

  • Jay HinrichsBusiness Member
    Real Estate Consultant · Summerlin, NV · Member since 2014 · 45k+ posts · 66k+ votes
    9y

    @Jon Klaus  I just made a clarifying post.

    however its regional in my mind.. in the PDX market we are flat fee based.. from as low as 7k if your doing volume 20 to 30 homes a year in production housing.. to 25k or more if you building customs.

    I average on my 350 to 450k builds 12 to 15k flat fee.. all other subs at cost ... and for insurance purposes we can't pay the subs direct we want that insurance on the GC.. but we are a signer on the GC account that is opened just for that build job.. our draws come into our account then we transfer the funds to the GC account.. and the GC pays subs.. but we get to see each and every invoice and check that goes out... Plus we require lien release from the past period before next draw goes out. We get release's from virtually every sub.  that's how we do it.. Giving 100% of the money to the GC and trusting they will pay has some major risk to it... I got burned in the melt down 08  so I know the pain first hand.. its tough to pay to build a house twice  :(  while the GC has walked off with the draw money...

  • Developer · Garland, TX · Member since 2008 · 8k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    9y

    I agree with Jay, you should get some professional advice on the 1031 exchange plan.   The safe thing to do would be to rent it after you build it to prove that your intent was to hold   Then sell in the future.  Maybe not ideal for your goals, but you don't want the 1031X disallowed after the fact. 

    I'd check with @Bill Exeter

  • Dave FosterBusiness Member
    Qualified Intermediary for 1031 Exchanges · St. Petersburg, FL · Member since 2013 · 9k+ posts · 9k+ votes
    9y

    @John Thedford, As you know lot's are like pimples on a 14 year old in our neck of the woods.  Which is why you correctly identify that you're probably going to pay retail as there's not much benefit/incentive to a builder.  But I don't think you need or want to go all the way to a custom one off builder GC.    Those guys are one extreme or the other - experienced and pricey or inexperienced and dangerous.  

    You may want to do a sweep of all the builders in the area who are building spec on their own lots and have model homes.  Find a couple that you like and talk to them about building that model on your lot.  This way you get a product you've been able to see completed and you can vet the builder.  And you also get some economy of scale from a builder with a "been there done that" model.  They may even be willing to throw in their financing model to you.

    Better think of it as a rental for a while.  A new build intended for sale does not qualify for 1031.

    The 1031 Investor5137 Reviews
  • Real Estate Broker · Naples, FL · Member since 2013 · 9k+ posts · 6k+ votes
    9y

    @Dave Foster thanks. I was going to inquire if this would knock out a 1031 idea.
    @Jon Klaus thanks for your advice.\
    @Jay Hinrichs thanks as well.
    @John Weidner thanks.|
    @Chris Seveney thanks.

    This is why I come to BP. Smart people helping others learn! To anyone reading this post considering getting a Pro account...do it! Well worth the money in more ways than one.

  • Bill ExeterBusiness Member
    1031 Exchange Qualified Intermediary · San Diego, CA · Member since 2008 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    9y

    @John Thedford,

    Unfortunately, your intent is to build and then sell, which does not qualify for 1031 Exchange treatment.  You must have the intent to hold for rental, investment or business use.  You are actually intending to hold the property for sale (i.e., inventory in your real estate business) so it does not qualify for 1031 Exchange treatment. 

    Now, if you held the property as rental property instead you would qualify, but you would need to be able to demonstrate your intent to hold should you ever get audited.  The best way to demonstrate your intent would be to rent it long enough to clearly prove intent.  I would rent for at least 24 months (personal opinion) so that you straddle 3 tax years to demonstrate your intent to hold for rental since you originally helped develop the property.

    Exeter 1031 Exchange Services, LLC and Exeter Trust Company4.726 Reviews
Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.