1 unit/1500sf of lot area. 2,900 sf lot. Does 1.9 = 1 or 2 units?

12 Replies

Never had the opportunity to build, just yet, but I have always been curious.

If zoning states 1 unit allowed for every 1500sf of lot area and the lot just shy of the next full unit, lets say a 2900 sf lot, will the city still allow it for 2 units or does 1.9 mean you are only allowed 1 unit still?

Or are there other calculations/factors in play here, like difference afters setbacks are subtracted, how lenient the city planner is, etc.)?

Thank you!

Probably many differences in different cities. 

For example, in Atlanta, I have a triple lot with 117 ft. road frontage. Zoning requires a lot to have 40' road frontage - I was 3' short. It was suggested to me to try to buy 3' from the neighbor. When the market crashed I bought the property next door (and the one on the other side, and one backing up to it as well - lol)

So, see if there're 100sqf that you could get from a neighbor

On "close" calls like that, in my experience, highly depends in the municipality you are dealing with.  Some are absolute sticklers,,,, and would require you to go through a probable lengthy variance request  process,,,,,,,,,,  some would say, "that's close enough for gov work!",,, and not even bat an eye at this close of call..... 

And @Michaela G. - you and I think much alike!!  LOL 

Originally posted by @Michaela G. :

Probably many differences in different cities. 

For example, in Atlanta, I have a triple lot with 117 ft. road frontage. Zoning requires a lot to have 40' road frontage - I was 3' short. It was suggested to me to try to buy 3' from the neighbor. When the market crashed I bought the property next door (and the one on the other side, and one backing up to it as well - lol)

So, see if there're 100sqf that you could get from a neighbor

That is phenomenal! 

@Rami W. I believe city of San Diego does not round up. I am dealing with the same thing with city of Escondido right now - 9.85 units means 9 units, not 10 unfortunately. In this case it affects value by about $200,000.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Application for variance around here costs non refundable ~$6k.. takes 2 months.

They have an incentive to approve because of additional permit and later tax revenue.. 2 units make them more money than 1.

Being polite helps around here.

@Rami W.  I've developed multiple properties in various zones within the City of San Diego.  And, I can tell you definitively that the number of units is rounded to nearest whole number in the city.  So, in your example, 2 units would be permitable.

Note there are many other reasons that, in practice, you may not actually be able to construct that many dwelling units - the most common of those reasons is parking requirements.  Developing is a high-stakes game, ripe for mistakes and losses ... I was lucky enough to make my first mistakes during a rising market that rescued me.  If you're considering a deal and have questions, feel free to shoot me a message and I'll share whatever I know.

@Rami W. it is definitely 2.  @Matt C. Escondido and City of San Diego are two different jurisdictions w/ different zoning codes.

Biggest factor to look for besides # of dwelling units is the floor area allowed & parking requirements.  In some San Diego zones a garage is considered floor area (further limiting livable space) and in others its excluded from it.  Parking requirements vary by zone as well.  It's always a good idea to take your property address down to Development Services and ask questions.

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here