• Tustin, CA
Votes |
Design Development (Architecture) for SFR Construction Project

Justine M.
Pro Member
  • Tustin, CA
Posted Sep 19 2017, 16:52

Hi all,

A bit of a noob developer question here as I'm in a bind and would like to hear how others deal with/handle the actual design development of their SFR projects. Also, really want to better understand how to constructively communicate with architect on design.

A bit of background, I have subdivided a parcel to construct four 3-story townhomes.  I thought I had the right architect on board for the entire project, but now I'm running into issues and don't think I went about this correctly.  Fast forward a year now and he started to work on construction documents and the overall design of the buildings.  I gave the architect direction with pictures of other projects and building designs that I like so he would use it as a baseline for design elements to incorporate on the facade and outside finishes of the homes.  

Overall, I don't like what he has come up with in exterior design.  It seems like he just copy pasted the layout and architecture exactly from another similar project he did years ago.  When I ask him to change things on the facade with pictures and examples from other projects, he doesn't really change much other than colors of the building and different trims and lips.  After going back and forth a few times, seems like we are speaking 2 different languages, he says he doesn't work on the design and our contract is to get me to the point of building permits and not the aesthetics.  Further, he says this is something you can adjust with your contractor/builder or hire a designer for.

I have a feeling I'm just not communicating with him the right way in explaining what I want or he is really restricted in thinking outside the box.  Not sure, but right now my project looks like a contemporary solid plain box with generic white color.  When I asked for changes the first couple times, all he did is added staggered windows on the facade and change up colors here and there and we are almost at plan check.  The last thing that grinds my gears is I find out from one of my contractors that the placement of 2 floor to ceiling glass door balconies right on top of each other per unit is not a wise thing to do as it is nearly impossible to construct since there is no room for any header space and if it were plausible, it would be very expensive.  I feel like these are things the architect should be aware of, especially a seasoned group with over 20+ year experience.

What are some tips and thoughts from others here on their experience and what I may be doing wrong.  I come from the commercial side of the business where my architects were able to handle architectural design and everything so maybe my expectations weren't set properly from the beginning.  

Loading replies...