• Kansas City, MO
Votes |
Needing help with a mold problem

Michael Bachmann
Pro Member
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Kansas City, MO
Posted Feb 9 2018, 09:07

I have a question for everyone.  I have a house that has been deconstructed to the studs and there appears to be mold on both sides of parts of the drywall (inside the wall and out).  Does anyone know what is the best way to treat said mold before continuing with a project?

User Stats

Votes
Ray Schumacher
  • Contractor
  • Woodcliff Lk, NJ
Votes |
  • Contractor
  • Woodcliff Lk, NJ
Replied Feb 9 2018, 14:01

Hi Mike 

The best way is to remove all of the mold, scrape as much as you can away. Then spray straight bleach, it must be straight bleach. on all of the mold even spray the wood studs. then wait for it to dry. After it drys paint the treated area with an OIL BASE PRIMER. An oil base primer has Lacker in it witch will seal the area. So remember SMALL amounts of Mold could be treated this way. 

Please let me know how it turns out.

Ray 

User Stats

Votes
Cliff Terry
Pro Member
  • Flipper/Rehabber
  • Fort Myers FL - Austin, TX
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Flipper/Rehabber
  • Fort Myers FL - Austin, TX
Replied Feb 10 2018, 06:36

Hi Michael, 

I grew up in Lone Jack and all my family is still in the Kansas City area, those who haven't followed me to SWFL.. lol

I own a mold remediation company in SW Florida, The best thing to do with the drywall depending on the amount contaminated is to remove and replace it. Sand or wire brush the wood studs that has growth. I then recommend treating the areas with an EPA registered product. Home Depot has a line of mold products called Concrobium that works really well. If you want to email me some pictures of the areas I can give you more detailed advice. 

Good Luck and Go Chiefs !! 

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Mike D'Arrigo
Pro Member
  • Turn key provider
  • San Jose, CA
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Turn key provider
  • San Jose, CA
Replied Feb 11 2018, 13:29

@Michael Bachmann It depends on how much surface area it covers. If it's a fairly small, isolated area, you can use bleach and kill it. If it's a large area, you might need to tear out the drywall and replace it. Make sure that it isn't in the studs also.