Contractors - Painting Interior walls

7 Replies

After drywall is installed, what do you do to prep your walls for painting? It seems to me that paint doesn't go on as evenly as it once did. I'm not sure if it's the drwyall has been reformulated, the paper, or the paint. However; we've used different painting subcontractors and it seems to always have a less than perfect finish that you can pick up when looking at an angle. Or am I being OCD? 

What is your process? Brand of paint you use? 

I am assumming you have primed the new drywall first. We generally spray and back roll with a 3/4" nap roller. It also helps if you tint your primer close to your finish color. Then we repeat with the finish.  Just keep the walls wet and you shouldn't have coverage issues. 

We use all brands. I have about 100 gallons in mixed brand paint. (we have a couple large contractors that give us their leftover 5's we then mix to gether to make one color). I have about 200 of Bunker hill I got for 4 bucks a gallon. (A local hardware store switched brands and dumped all their stock)  We have used everything and still have no brand loyalty. Just price loyalty.

I would second @Peter B. that new drywall should get primer prior to paint and backrolling will give you a better finish than spraying alone.   In our market it seems most professional painters prefer Dunn Edwards paint.

stucco.

Paint-- all professionals tell me Kelly Moore. Lowes and HD paint is OK for interior.  Do not buy mixed prime-paint. They do not adhere well. 

I’m a paint rep so I’m kinda biased.

With new drywall use a PVA or another drywall sealer (Behr 73 Drywall Primer and Sealer, Kilz 2, Kilz PVA).

This is going to make your topcoat of paint go much farther in terms of gallon usage. This is due to how porous the drywall is. When you seal the drywall it evens out the finish instead of absorbing into the wall creating an uneven surface.

Paints in general are two coat products (after the surface has been primed). If the coat of paint is uneven it can be caused by a number of reasons i.e. trying to stretch the paint to far before reloading the roller.

If you have any paint questions feel free to ask.

It could be the drywall taping itself is not done up to par with what you are used to seeing? In that case, no paint will make a difference. 

If that's not the problem a very light sanding in between coats may help to keep the lint specs, from rollers etc off and a smoother finish. 

Thanks everyone, I will be sure to mention this to the painters next time. We've paid a lot of money for painting on high end houses, and it never fails there's always one wall that will have a patch that just looks rough. I know they prime the drywall, but I'm not sure that they roll it too, or just spray. 

It sounds like a drywall problem not a paint problem. In Charleston we have so much big construction going on that finding good drywall folks is getting hard. 

Mud and tape applications are much harder then most people realize. Just about anyone can hang gypsum but finishing it well is an art and one that is very often underappreciated. And if the drywall is not right, no amount of paint is going to fix it. 

Get a drywall inspection light and check the drywall before you let the crew go. 

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here