How do I find and properly vet an Architect in my area?

How do I find and properly vet an Architect in my area?

Rental Property Investor · Austin, TX · Member since 2015 · 280 posts · 176 votes

I'd like to explore building a STR on a lot I own near Canyon Lake in Texas and have a good example from another house I found online to mimic. I'd like to know how I go about finding an architect to help draft the plans? Also, what are the typical costs involved? This will be a 1,200 sq ft SFH if it helps any. Thanks!

0Reply
14 views

Most Popular Reply

Jared W SmithBusiness Member
Architect · Westchester County, NY · Member since 2018 · 682 posts · 476 votes
8y

@Account Closed on utilizing the website to find a good architect for your area. Please be advised, your architect is going to do far more than just draft plans. Using their knowledge and expertise, you'll make the house efficiently designed as well as tackle any zoning and permitting issues which may arise going from design to start construction.   

Architect Owl PLLC521 Reviews
See this reply in the discussion

3 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Professional · Redding, CA · Member since 2017 · 123 posts · 81 votes
    8y

    Hi Larry - Start here, https://www.aiaaustin.org/content/hire-architect with the American Institute of Architects chapter in Austin. They provide some good resources on what to look for and how to seek them out.

  • Jared W SmithBusiness Member
    Architect · Westchester County, NY · Member since 2018 · 682 posts · 476 votes
    8y

    @Account Closed on utilizing the website to find a good architect for your area. Please be advised, your architect is going to do far more than just draft plans. Using their knowledge and expertise, you'll make the house efficiently designed as well as tackle any zoning and permitting issues which may arise going from design to start construction.   

    Architect Owl PLLC521 Reviews
  • Architect · Papillion, NE · Member since 2015 · 1k+ posts · 840 votes
    8y

    Note: AIA is a membership organization by simply paying a fee to join.  This is a great place to start your search.  I agree with the others as well.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.