Building in more remote areas (mountains)

5 Replies

Does anyone have good experience building a mountain house on a vacant plot of land? I'm thinking/fantasizing about buying some land up in the north GA mountains to then use as a vacation rental (and for myself of course) but I have no clue what that would entail, especially at the start of the process.

I have to imagine getting electric, plumbing, etc ran to the property would be a bit of a project, but I'm clueless as to how much so, and whether a project like that could work out as a good investment.

If anyone who's ever done completely new construction in a remote area like that could offer their input and advice on how to get started approaching something like this, it would be much appreciated!

done it many times out here in CA OR and Wa.

you may want to search for parcels that have community water and a septic already installed..  

many times there will be an old MH on it.. just drag it to the dump .. just check to see if septic is big enough for what you want to build.

Originally posted by @Sam Touroonjian :

Does anyone have good experience building a mountain house on a vacant plot of land? I'm thinking/fantasizing about buying some land up in the north GA mountains to then use as a vacation rental (and for myself of course) but I have no clue what that would entail, especially at the start of the process.

I have to imagine getting electric, plumbing, etc ran to the property would be a bit of a project, but I'm clueless as to how much so, and whether a project like that could work out as a good investment.

If anyone who's ever done completely new construction in a remote area like that could offer their input and advice on how to get started approaching something like this, it would be much appreciated!

You definitely want to make sure you have power available in close by. You can get estimates from the power company if you have to run electrical to the site. Sometimes they will pay the cost to get it to the site to a point you have to pay the cost to get it to the house from that point. Depending on topography you could put in a well and septic but as Jay said its best to find a parcel with all utilities in place.

@Jay Hinrichs

Originally posted by @Greg Dickerson :
Originally posted by @Sam Touroonjian:

You definitely want to make sure you have power available in close by. You can get estimates from the power company if you have to run electrical to the site. Sometimes they will pay the cost to get it to the site to a point you have to pay the cost to get it to the house from that point. Depending on topography you could put in a well and septic but as Jay said its best to find a parcel with all utilities in place.

@Jay Hinrichs

I know out our way  power septic well can run 50k minimum to 100k..  so finding a prop with those things already installed can save big time.

@Jay Hinrichs

Wow I never would have guessed that getting those basics set up could be as expensive as 50-100k. That's great info to keep in mind. Thank you.

I've seen some plots in the mountains here with a MH already in place for $60k or less, so it sounds like that would be the best route to pursue. Being able to sell the MH itself would be helpful with costs too, right?

Originally posted by @Sam Touroonjian :

@Jay Hinrichs

Wow I never would have guessed that getting those basics set up could be as expensive as 50-100k. That's great info to keep in mind. Thank you.

I've seen some plots in the mountains here with a MH already in place for $60k or less, so it sounds like that would be the best route to pursue. Being able to sell the MH itself would be helpful with costs too, right?

Keep in mind thats cost in our area.. your milage may vary.. you may well be able to build a septic system for 5k compared to the 25 to 40k it cost us.. I mean used to pay 5k as little as 20 years ago.. no more though.