DTI and 2021 Taxes

5 Replies

Hello and thank you for reading and offering guidance. I'm newer to REI. I have a SFR that was previously used as my primary until 2020. I purchased a duplex in 2021. I replaced a roof, remodeled a bathroom, replaced a HVAC system and several other costly projects. I also took a withdrawal from my 401k in 2021 for downpayment costs on the duplex. My fear going into tax season is claiming too much of a loss and hurting my DTI for potential purchases in 2022. Is there a rule or guideline you follow to balance taxes so you are claiming appropriately but not to your future borrowing power?

Most of these costs are not “immediately expensed” they get capitalized and depreciated. Assuming you occupy one of the units, the costs associated with your unit are not expensed or depreciated at all…they simply raise your cost basis for gain calculations when you sell. 

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

We hate spam just as much as you