Anyone partnering with family in your real estate investing?

4 Replies

I was curious if anyone has worked with you family to buy investment properties by pulling resources? I have a brother who's a contractor, I'm a real estate agent, and then we have five other siblings (accountant, social worker, etc.) who don't want to do anything active in real estate investing but might share their money based on what we told them for expected returns. 

The reason I ask, is maybe some of you have done this, have had lots of arguments or has gone well. Was curious to ask. Also curious what legal, family trust, type of logistics you've used. 

Yes, my brother and I purchased a duplex together. We haven't had any issues, but highly suggest setting clear benchmarks/goals throughout each step of the investment process so it's clear and everyone is on board. Complete some basic financials, and have a detailed budget to work from. Also, put something in writing so you can defer to it versus trying to handle emotional conversations with family. 

Promotion
NestEgg
Smarter rental management
Outperform your peers by 71%
NestEgg landlords save $6,960/yr in fees & 20 hrs/mo*. Self-manage for free or go hands-off for $29.
Start now, get $500

I've had a lifelong partnership with my sister, but it does not work for everyone. As @Danielle Jackson said, you have to set clear roles and strategies and know who is doing what. I would not want to involve the passive family members at all, that always goes sour because they don't understand when you missed a foundation issue and now the spread is 25k less.

Thank you all! That's a great word on having it formally in writing before beginning. @Jonathan Greene , great point! I think just knowing my family, I agree, and would work with my brother or someone who's going to be active investor but maybe not worth it with some of my siblings. A great perspective you shared. 

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

We hate spam just as much as you