Algarve (Portugal) Opportunity

3 Replies

I'm interested in investing in real estate overseas, and am looking at an opportunity to purchase a 3 bdrm ground level condo (new - 2021 build) to use as an airbnb type investment. I've owned revenue property locally in the past; this would be my first time venturing into an overseas market. Wondering if anyone with direct experience in Portugal has any advice or pitfalls to avoid? 

@Eric Bjor Olá! I would definitely suggest that you take a trip to the region in which you'd like to invest. The Algarve has increasingly become an "expat colony" of sorts... so finding reliable property management shouldn't be difficult - however, I think proper due diligence would be to spend some time on the ground getting to know the people that might be managing your property. Also consider other regions that aren't on many people's radars yet, such as Comporta and surrounding areas (in some of the surrounding municipalities you can still qualify for the Golden Visa in 2022 + other programs that incentivize investment and urban rehabilitation... if you are interested in that sort of project). And make sure you are working with a good Portuguese lawyer familiar with American / international RE laws. Let me know if you need any recommendations if you aren't already working with someone. 

Promotion
Jamestown Invest
Build a well-balanced portfolio with CRE
Considering CRE Investing?
Download this whitepaper and learn about CRE investing from a manager with a 38 year track record
Learn More

@Eric Bjor

I'm not sure what kind of pitfalls you're concerned about. This sounds like a financial investment with maybe some personal use. So you'd "just" have to figure out if the property can give you the returns that you're looking for. You might indeed get a better idea about that if you visit the area. That will give you an idea about the market and what's going on. When it comes to short-term rentals, the characteristics of the property and the way it's managed can make a huge difference when it comes to the profitability. So, once you have a good idea of the potential income and, if it's satisfactory, you have to figure out how to properly execute to tap that potential to its maximum.

I know the area pretty well as it's a market I'm active in and I have close family from there so feel free to reach out if you need any further help at some point. 

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

We hate spam just as much as you