Skip to content
Pro Members Get Full Access
Succeed in real estate investing with proven toolkits that have helped thousands of aspiring and existing investors achieve financial freedom.
$0 TODAY
$32.50/month, billed annually after your 7-day trial.
Cancel anytime
Find the right properties and ace your analysis
Market Finder with key investor metrics for all US markets, plus a list of recommended markets.
Deal Finder with investor-focused filters and notifications for new properties
Unlimited access to 9+ rental analysis calculators and rent estimator tools
Off-market deal finding software from Invelo ($638 value)
Supercharge your network
Pro profile badge
Pro exclusive community forums and threads
Build your landlord command center
All-in-one property management software from RentRedi ($240 value)
Portfolio monitoring and accounting from Stessa
Lawyer-approved lease agreement packages for all 50-states ($4,950 value) *annual subscribers only
Shortcut the learning curve
Live Q&A sessions with experts
Webinar replay archive
50% off investing courses ($290 value)
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here

Join Over 3 Million Real Estate Investors

Create a free BiggerPockets account to comment, participate, and connect with over 3 million real estate investors.
Use your real name
By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.
The community here is like my own little personal real estate army that I can depend upon to help me through ANY problems I come across.
General Real Estate Investing
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
Marcus Auerbach
Agent
  • Investor and Real Estate Agent
  • Milwaukee - Mequon, WI
Votes |
Nobody is talking about the real impact of inflation

Marcus Auerbach
Agent
  • Investor and Real Estate Agent
  • Milwaukee - Mequon, WI
Posted

Predictions for inflation have been around for years, now it's here and it will be for a while. It's in the news every day. CPI (consumer Price Index) came out a few days ago with 7.0%  for 2021 and when I look at the producer price index at 9.7% - biggest gain on record - it seems like there will be more to come. And this is global: Germany 5.3%, India 7.6%, Mexico 7.3%, Brazil 10%, Russia 8.4% (and then the catastrophic inflation in Turkey 36% and Argentina 51%)!

The current situation of 30y fixed rates being less than half of what inflation is seems absurd! Rates should be higher than inflation! This is upside down, how can lenders sustain this?

On top of that RE keeps appreciation - and from what it looks like - it will have to continue down this path. Many of us wish we could go back to 2009-2012 as the opportunity of a lifetime and buy more then - we might be looking back at 2022 the same way.

The general public's view on inflation is that it means price increases; gas, steaks, houses. Those are all short term inconviniences. Nobody is talking about that fact that their 401k just lost 7% and will probably continue to do so potentially year over year compounding down.

It also means that real estate got 7% cheaper, which offsets about a thrid of the national appreciation gain last year (about 20%). What puzzels me is that inflation with it's massive impact on REI is not a big topic here on BP.

I am on here every morning and there are still so many posts about when is the housing market going to crash and barely anything about inflation. This is a literal game changer. What type of rent growth will we see over the next five years. Try running numbers with 5% p.a. Inflation could be the best thing that happenes to anyone with a sizeable portfolio, it could also get really ugly if it starts to run away. 

Where will interest rates be in 5 years? Could we see double digits again? The current consesus is that we will see mortageg rates at 3.7% by the end of the year and I don't believe it. I am surprised there is no fear mongering about the crash of the USD. How wide can the wealth devide grow, before the tension gets too high? What gives? Where are all my fellow YouTubers - seems like the next big clickbait! Or will that still come?

Anyway, just some thoughts along my cup of coffee - time to get to work! 

Loading replies...