Skip to content
Pro Members Get Full Access
Succeed in real estate investing with proven toolkits that have helped thousands of aspiring and existing investors achieve financial freedom.
$0 TODAY
$32.50/month, billed annually after your 7-day trial.
Cancel anytime
Find the right properties and ace your analysis
Market Finder with key investor metrics for all US markets, plus a list of recommended markets.
Deal Finder with investor-focused filters and notifications for new properties
Unlimited access to 9+ rental analysis calculators and rent estimator tools
Off-market deal finding software from Invelo ($638 value)
Supercharge your network
Pro profile badge
Pro exclusive community forums and threads
Build your landlord command center
All-in-one property management software from RentRedi ($240 value)
Portfolio monitoring and accounting from Stessa
Lawyer-approved lease agreement packages for all 50-states ($4,950 value) *annual subscribers only
Shortcut the learning curve
Live Q&A sessions with experts
Webinar replay archive
50% off investing courses ($290 value)
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here

Join Over 3 Million Real Estate Investors

Create a free BiggerPockets account to comment, participate, and connect with over 3 million real estate investors.
Use your real name
By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.
The community here is like my own little personal real estate army that I can depend upon to help me through ANY problems I come across.
General Real Estate Investing
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
Anil Villamkandathil
  • GREENSBORO, NC
Votes |
Granite or quartz countertops

Anil Villamkandathil
  • GREENSBORO, NC
Posted Nov 16 2022, 21:24

I am fixing up my first flip and the market has changed on me. My budgets are now stretched. Can somebody refer me to a  good granite/quartz fabricator who can provide cheap granite. The prices of materials have skyrocketed and unfortunately the housing market is tanking. So if any one has any recommendations it’s greatly valued and appreciated.

My budget was at 30/sqft, however the prices I am getting is 40+. The kitchen also turned out bigger than I calculated for, so I am now completely out of charts.

Thanks
Anil

User Stats

Votes
Marcus Auerbach
Agent
#3 Real Estate Horror Stories Contributor
  • Investor and Real Estate Agent
  • Milwaukee - Mequon, WI
Votes |
Agent
#3 Real Estate Horror Stories Contributor
  • Investor and Real Estate Agent
  • Milwaukee - Mequon, WI
Replied Nov 17 2022, 04:48

Cheapening your flip is a dangerous downward spiral! People pay for good design, homes that go well over asking always have extraordinary design. Something that makes you say wow. Most flips I see are just middle of the road and that's fine too, because extraordinary design is risky. But if you cheapen your flip you might be taking down more of your market value than you save in cost!

User Stats

Votes
Scott E.
  • Developer
  • Scottsdale, AZ
Votes |
  • Developer
  • Scottsdale, AZ
Replied Nov 17 2022, 07:13

Depending on how much you need, you might have luck finding a shop around you that sells remnants. These are basically "leftovers" from other jobs. But still high quality materials.

I 100% agree with @Marcus Auerbach though. You don't want to start cutting corners now. In this market, you need to deliver a product that is high quality, well designed, and staged. Otherwise your house will just sit like all of the other mediocre inventory out there.

BiggerPockets logo
Network With Property Managers
|
BiggerPockets
Partnering with a property manager before you buy will boost your bottom line. Match and mingle with top property managers now!

User Stats

Votes
Replied Nov 17 2022, 07:22
Give Home Depot a shot.
Alternatively, see if you can find a pre-bullnosed granite slab supplier within driving distance. I'm close to a west coast port and there are 100's of them within 70 miles. They tend to be run by Chinese families and will also carry imported cabinets. They may be able to provide an installer that will charge by the hour and most of them can do it in half a day.

User Stats

Votes
Mordy Chaimovitz
  • Investor
  • Chicago
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Chicago
Replied Nov 17 2022, 08:15

Doing top grade finishes needs to be supported by the type of buyers in that area. Does the area where your property is in demand top shelf finishes? Or are you making it nice because you want to take pride in your work? Flip your house for your target market. 

User Stats

Votes
Anil Villamkandathil
  • GREENSBORO, NC
Votes |
  • GREENSBORO, NC
Replied Nov 17 2022, 10:54

I guess I got my messaging wrong. When I Say cheap, I meant a competitive Investor level pricing for a level 1 granite. The flips in my market have them. Well, now things have changed and I see all kinds of property listed. I don't mean to cut corner, however I am trying work within the market parameters that I am bond to. As of now my expenditures versus projected income is little scary. The work I put in must be considered as experience.  So I am hunting ways to save every penny I can.@Mordy Chaimovitz@Mordy Chaimovitz

@Mordy Chaimovitz, I am not sure if I am going overboard, but its my intension to deliver a descent product, However the market has nosedived now and my purchase price is no good for the current challenging ARV. Most of the flips in the area have a Solid stone countertops, so I guess the market demands it. But as noted above things are changing.

@Tom Fidrych

Thanks, Can you please guide me  the search terms, Do business show up on google searches. I do not live in the area of my flip, I out by about 1.30 hrs and I work full time. Very hard to drive around. 

If I don't sell it at my lowest bench marked price, My plan B is to rent the property but my concerns are I invested a lot of money into remodeling the property as a flip and I fear when it comes time to sell, I have to redo this exercise again. Renting for me right now is not profitable. I am in line of losing couple of 100 bucks a month.  I am also considering medium term furnished renting at https://www.furnishedfinder.co.. , this would mean, me investing in the furnitures. My contractor thinks this is a good Idea. To be frank I do not understand all the variables here, particularly the vacancies and security of my property in a multitenant setup.

Thanks

Anil

Thanks

Anil

User Stats

Votes
Replied Nov 17 2022, 11:49
Quote from @Anil Villamkandathil:

I guess I got my messaging wrong. When I Say cheap, I meant a competitive Investor level pricing for a level 1 granite. The flips in my market have them. Well, now things have changed and I see all kinds of property listed. I don't mean to cut corner, however I am trying work within the market parameters that I am bond to. As of now my expenditures versus projected income is little scary. The work I put in must be considered as experience.  So I am hunting ways to save every penny I can.@Mordy Chaimovitz@Mordy Chaimovitz

@Mordy Chaimovitz, I am not sure if I am going overboard, but its my intension to deliver a descent product, However the market has nosedived now and my purchase price is no good for the current challenging ARV. Most of the flips in the area have a Solid stone countertops, so I guess the market demands it. But as noted above things are changing.

@Tom Fidrych

Thanks, Can you please guide me  the search terms, Do business show up on google searches. I do not live in the area of my flip, I out by about 1.30 hrs and I work full time. Very hard to drive around. 

If I don't sell it at my lowest bench marked price, My plan B is to rent the property but my concerns are I invested a lot of money into remodeling the property as a flip and I fear when it comes time to sell, I have to redo this exercise again. Renting for me right now is not profitable. I am in line of losing couple of 100 bucks a month.  I am also considering medium term furnished renting at https://www.furnishedfinder.co.. , this would mean, me investing in the furnitures. My contractor thinks this is a good Idea. To be frank I do not understand all the variables here, particularly the vacancies and security of my property in a multitenant setup.

Thanks

Anil

Thanks

Anil

What town is the remodel located? I'll check for suppliers thereafter. 

User Stats

Votes
Anil Villamkandathil
  • GREENSBORO, NC
Votes |
  • GREENSBORO, NC
Replied Nov 17 2022, 11:51
Quote from @Tom Fidrych:
Quote from @Anil Villamkandathil:

@Tom Fidrych

Thanks

Anil

Thanks

Anil

What town is the remodel located? I'll check for suppliers thereafter. 

Concord, north carolina

User Stats

Votes
Replied Nov 17 2022, 12:54

Sorry Anil, I couldn't locate any pre-bullnosed counter top suppliers in NC. They are ubiquitous in the SF Bay area but likely because the the shipping is easier from China and there are many Chinese Americans in the area. 

User Stats

Votes
Anil Villamkandathil
  • GREENSBORO, NC
Votes |
  • GREENSBORO, NC
Replied Nov 17 2022, 13:07
Quote from @Tom Fidrych:

Sorry Anil, I couldn't locate any pre-bullnosed counter top suppliers in NC. They are ubiquitous in the SF Bay area but likely because the the shipping is easier from China and there are many Chinese Americans in the area. 

Thats fine. Thanks for your help.