General Real Estate Investing

User Stats

Votes
Alexander Small
Votes |
Looking to buy a quadplex, need advice

Alexander Small
Posted May 11 2023, 20:53

Hello, I have a couple questions and I'm looking for advice. Check below. For market calculations, I'm in the San Antonio area.

About Me:

I'm 19. I'm moving closer to my college in the fall, and I'm looking at apartments right now. The more I look into it, I'd be paying close to $1399 a month for rent for a studio apartment, and never seeing any of that money again. I've been thinking about getting some sort of multifamily house, living in one unit, and renting out the other units to build equity through college using the rent payments to pay down my mortgage, and maybe get some minor cash flow. I'm a software developer, so I make approx. $65,000 a year part-time while I'm in school. I currently do not pay student loans (I start payments in 2026). I have a 680ish credit score.

My Question:

What would you do if you were in my shoes? Would it be possible to get a FHA loan on the quadplex, and use the estimated rental income on the DTI calculations? I have a relative who offered to gift me the down payment amount of a house. I honestly have no idea where to start, but I have to play the cards I have right at a young age to get myself setup well for the future.

Thanks,

Zander

Loading replies...