Best way to approach for tax purposes?

Best way to approach for tax purposes?

Member since 2019 · 40 posts · 42 votes

I’ll keep it short, I am 22 as of now own 4 doors, my grandfather has several small apartment buildings he is selling off and I am buying one of his 18 unit buildings and it will be done under seller financing terms. He has owned this one for 40 years and it was fully depreciated. The payments towards the property are going to be made to a trust that will be distributed to his children upon death. We are trying to avoid paying capital gains as much as possible. We are both open to creative ideas. We are not getting far with our accountant. If anymore info is needed I will provide asap, thank you!

0Reply
6 views

Most Popular Reply

Morris County, NJ · Member since 2020 · 5k+ posts · 2k+ votes
3y

@Tanner Johnson

Sorry to be morbid, but why not leave the property in the grandfather's name?  The best way to avoid taxes is death...  "death and taxes" ... "swap 'till you drop' 

That would avoid the capital gains tax and depreciation unrecapture.

Otherwise, I think there is a trust setup for this, or something similiar that will need to be finagled.  I just can't remember so late...  You really should speak with an estate planner, not an accountant.

See this reply in the discussion

8 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Bjorn AhlbladPro Member
    Investor · Shelton, WA · Member since 2017 · 6k+ posts · 6k+ votes
    3y

    The best way to avoid those nasty taxes is to get rid of your money and possessions before you die. 'Gift' it all to your heirs while you are still alive. Ask your grandfather to explore that with your current accountant or a new one. There is an 11 million dollar exemption-22 million for married couples. I am not an accountant but there may be a deal structure in there somewhere for y'all.

  • Investor / Mentor / Contractor · Arcadia, CA Buying Out of State · Member since 2015 · 654 posts · 622 votes
    3y

    I'll be thinking about some advice on this. But I do want to say, good job Tanner. Impressive moves at your age. Keep it up. 

  • Member since 2019 · 40 posts · 42 votes
    3y
    Quote from @Tim Ryan:

    I'll be thinking about some advice on this. But I do want to say, good job Tanner. Impressive moves at your age. Keep it up. 


     Thank you! So far have hit a bunch of dead ends with it and just don’t want to waste all of my cash paying their gains tax. any ideas super appreciated 

  • Morris County, NJ · Member since 2020 · 5k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    3y

    @Tanner Johnson

    Sorry to be morbid, but why not leave the property in the grandfather's name?  The best way to avoid taxes is death...  "death and taxes" ... "swap 'till you drop' 

    That would avoid the capital gains tax and depreciation unrecapture.

    Otherwise, I think there is a trust setup for this, or something similiar that will need to be finagled.  I just can't remember so late...  You really should speak with an estate planner, not an accountant.

  • Member since 2019 · 40 posts · 42 votes
    3y
    Quote from @David M.:

    @Tanner Johnson

    Sorry to be morbid, but why not leave the property in the grandfather's name?  The best way to avoid taxes is death...  "death and taxes" ... "swap 'till you drop' 

    That would avoid the capital gains tax and depreciation unrecapture.

    Otherwise, I think there is a trust setup for this, or something similiar that will need to be finagled.  I just can't remember so late...  You really should speak with an estate planner, not an accountant.


    We were thinking something like that, possibly a self cancelling note. The only thing about that is I can’t claim depreciation which is a big blow, right?

  • Morris County, NJ · Member since 2020 · 5k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    3y

    @Tanner Johnson

    Well, a self canceling note doesn't sound legal...  I thought the irs frowns on just forgiving debt.

    Since you say you've been at this already, what exactly are you looking for, now and in the future?  Or, is it just now?  Even if it is "everything," what is that to you?

  • Member since 2019 · 40 posts · 42 votes
    3y
    Quote from @David M.:

    @Tanner Johnson

    Well, a self canceling note doesn't sound legal...  I thought the irs frowns on just forgiving debt.

    Since you say you've been at this already, what exactly are you looking for, now and in the future?  Or, is it just now?  Even if it is "everything," what is that to you?


     As of now we are just trying to do a private transfer of the property between us two without him having to fall on the sword to do me a favor, the idea of him keeping ownership and “leasing”  it to me is something we have talked about and him leaving it to me through inheritance but it would help a ton if I could claim depreciation and I don’t think I can.

  • Morris County, NJ · Member since 2020 · 5k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    3y

    @Tanner Johnson

    So, at first thought transfer it on death so you get the step up in basis and can restart the depreciation, work it out on i'm hoping its owned in a LLC so you can get the income now.

    Otherwise, you'd have to purchase from him (even with him financing you and whatever you guys want to do about the Note) and the higher the "better" in terms of setting up your depreciation.  And he would 1031 that into something else to defer the depreciation recapture and capital gains.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.