WTF is wrong with investors these days?

Engelo Rumora
Property Manager
#4 General Real Estate Investing Contributor
  • Investor
  • Toledo, OH
Posted Feb 9 2024, 05:37

So I get investors reaching out to me everyday and it goes like this:

"Hi, I know you offer turnkey properties and property management and am interested in the Toledo market, I don't want to buy turnkey but was hoping you could help me find a deal.

Also, do you have any contractor and lender referrals?

I'd also love to work with your property management company"

Diplomacy left me a long time ago so how would you guys reply?

Seems like to me that everyone wants something for nothing nowadays and nobody is willing to put in the work or to pay the margin for someone else that is willing to do the work...

Folks want to "own a monkey", play with the monkey, but not "carry the monkey" or clean it's S#@% when it does one hehe

I guess next time I go to McDonalds, I'll ask them for organic burger buns or where I can find them, I'll bring my own meat paddy and potatoes, get them to make a Big Mac meal for me and maybe I throw some change their way haha

How about those analogies above... lol

Have a great weekend guys and much success with your investing 🙏

User Stats

Votes
Jay Hinrichs#1 All Forums Contributor
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Lake Oswego OR Summerlin, NV
Votes |
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Lake Oswego OR Summerlin, NV
Replied Feb 9 2024, 05:42

Engelo Good Morning !

I would like to take a stab at this.

I suspect a lot of these folks reaching out to you read BP forums.

And such they like the thought of infinite returns and are OK with max leverage etc.

So keep in mind BP folks are reading the BRRR books and building their Core 4 which has been coined by the folks who man the podcast and wrote a book on remote BRRR ( one of the absolute Riskiest endeavors one can take in real estate by the way).

So to that extent they are reaching out to you to build the Core 4 you just happen to have all 4 of the Core under one roof.

This IMHO is why your getting calls like this. Or e mail requests like this.

Your thoughts ?

User Stats

Votes
Randy Rodenhouse
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Charleston, SC
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Charleston, SC
Replied Feb 9 2024, 05:49

It's so true. So many people are asking the wrong questions and just hoping for an easy push button way to get into your real estate but that is not how it works or how it will ever work. You have to get in the trenches and do your time and get out there and actually buy something to get the experience that is necessary.  I also get many investors calling asking about properties that I am selling with owner financing and they just waste my time because they've never taken the time to understand how seller financing works or how to go about the process.  I am more than happy to help someone out that takes the time to initially be resourceful and learn as much as they can first and then go out and ask questions. 

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Chris Seveney
Pro Member
#2 All Forums Contributor
  • Investor
  • Virginia
Votes |
Pro Member
#2 All Forums Contributor
  • Investor
  • Virginia
Replied Feb 9 2024, 05:50
Quote from @Engelo Rumora:

"Hi, I know you offer turnkey properties and property management and am interested in the Toledo market, I don't want to buy turnkey but was hoping you could help me find a deal.

Seems like to me that everyone wants something for nothing nowadays and nobody is willing to put in the work or to pay the margin for someone else that is willing to do the work...

Folks want to "own a monkey", play with the monkey, but not "carry the monkey" or clean it's S#@% when it does one hehe

I guess next time I go to McDonalds, I'll ask them for organic burger buns or where I can find them, I'll bring my own meat paddy and potatoes, get them to make a Big Mac meal for me and maybe I throw some change their way haha

Glad to see I am not the only salty one this morning. I had this going through my head the other day when someone was asking me to do due diligence for them on my competition. 

User Stats

Votes
Engelo Rumora
Property Manager
  • Investor
  • Toledo, OH
Votes |
Property Manager
  • Investor
  • Toledo, OH
Replied Feb 9 2024, 05:53
Quote from @Jay Hinrichs:

Engelo Good Morning !

And such they like the thought of infinite returns and are OK with max leverage etc.

So keep in mind BP folks are reading the BRRR books and building their Core 4 which has been coined by the folks who man the podcast and wrote a book on remote BRRR ( one of the absolute Riskiest endeavors one can take in real estate by the way).

So to that extent they are reaching out to you to build the Core 4 you just happen to have all 4 of the Core under one roof.

Your thoughts ?

Hey mate,

Correct, mostly pinging me here on BP.

Gotta love those books...

So I guess we have moved on from "How to make money with no money or Zero Down" to "Getting everyone to work instead of you and not charge a penny for doing it..." hehe

What's next?

"How to get your own AI robot to find, buy, renovate, tenant, manage your real estate and at the same time to make love to you" hahaha

Thanks mate and always a pleasure hearing from you 🙏👍

User Stats

Votes
Engelo Rumora
Property Manager
  • Investor
  • Toledo, OH
Votes |
Property Manager
  • Investor
  • Toledo, OH
Replied Feb 9 2024, 05:59
Quote from @Chris Seveney:

Glad to see I am not the only salty one this morning. I had this going through my head the other day when someone was asking me to do due diligence for them on my competition. 

haha,

Yep, woke up on the wrong side of the bed mate hehe

Gonna hit the GYM and puff on a cigar so that will help lol

Well isn't that cute, doing due diligence on your competition...

Never had that one before

We should start a review thread and post operator reviews on other investors and some of the requests they make.

I mean, if folks can post dirty laundry about real estate service providers, why couldn't we reveal investors dirty laundry also...

I'm on a roll today hehe

Cheers mate 

User Stats

Votes
Engelo Rumora
Property Manager
  • Investor
  • Toledo, OH
Votes |
Property Manager
  • Investor
  • Toledo, OH
Replied Feb 9 2024, 06:03
Quote from @Randy Rodenhouse:

It's so true. So many people are asking the wrong questions and just hoping for an easy push button way to get into your real estate but that is not how it works or how it will ever work. You have to get in the trenches and do your time and get out there and actually buy something to get the experience that is necessary.  I also get many investors calling asking about properties that I am selling with owner financing and they just waste my time because they've never taken the time to understand how seller financing works or how to go about the process.  I am more than happy to help someone out that takes the time to initially be resourceful and learn as much as they can first and then go out and ask questions. 

Thanks for your comment Randy.

Nothing beats going in the trenches and loosing money.

Those are the best lessons that no book, guru, video, blog, event, etc... can teach.

"Hands on" doing and experience make perfect.

Learn from mistakes, don't repeat and try again

🙏👍

User Stats

Votes
Eric James
  • Malakoff, TX
Votes |
  • Malakoff, TX
Replied Feb 9 2024, 06:44
Quote from @Jay Hinrichs:

Engelo Good Morning !

Your thoughts ?

Exactly. And years of very low interest rates and fast rising real estate values have gotten a lot of people wanting to get into real estate.

User Stats

Votes
AJ Exner
Pro Member
  • Lender
  • Springfield, MO
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Lender
  • Springfield, MO
Replied Feb 9 2024, 07:12

Just had a pretty good one of these the other day. Found a lender that worked around some pretty big implications, helped manage their entity, switched lenders for them when an implication came up, took flack from realtors, got extensions, and then when we got them to closing they asked why we had a fee… 

Its interesting that we talk about the Core 4 and building a team, but the folks that I see who do the best understand that to sustain the C4 that it needs to be worth everyone’s time. 

Coming out of last year and how tough it was in REI, I think its going to be a lot of resetting of expectations with clients, at least from what I've seen so far this year.

User Stats

Votes
James Wise#1 Real Estate Agent Contributor
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Cleveland Dayton Cincinnati Toledo Columbus & Akron, OH
Votes |
  • Real Estate Broker
Replied Feb 9 2024, 07:18

Throat punch um bro.

User Stats

Votes
Michael P.#1 Market Trends & Data Contributor
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Brooke Park Drive
Votes |
Michael P.#1 Market Trends & Data Contributor
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Brooke Park Drive
Replied Feb 9 2024, 07:19

"How to get your own AI robot to find, buy, renovate, tenant, manage your real estate and at the same time to make love to you"

Following

User Stats

Votes
  • Real Estate Broker
Votes |
  • Real Estate Broker
Replied Feb 9 2024, 07:21
Quote from @Michael P.:

"How to get your own AI robot to find, buy, renovate, tenant, manage your real estate and at the same time to make love to you"

Following

What's it look like though? Pics or it didn't happen.

User Stats

Votes
Engelo Rumora
Property Manager
  • Investor
  • Toledo, OH
Votes |
Property Manager
  • Investor
  • Toledo, OH
Replied Feb 9 2024, 07:21
Quote from @AJ Exner:

Just had a pretty good one of these the other day. Found a lender that worked around some pretty big implications, helped manage their entity, switched lenders for them when an implication came up, took flack from realtors, got extensions, and then when we got them to closing they asked why we had a fee… 

Its interesting that we talk about the Core 4 and building a team, but the folks that I see who do the best understand that to sustain the C4 that it needs to be worth everyone’s time. 

Coming out of last year and how tough it was in REI, I think its going to be a lot of resetting of expectations with clients, at least from what I've seen so far this year.

Wow mate,

That’s gut wrenching 

When something like that happens, it still stings me to this day and I’ve seen and heard it all over 12 years of running various RE businesses.

Never took S#%@ from investors and never will but the S#%@ still does sting to this day ehhh

Has cost me millions but worth the price for not having to kiss A$$

Life is too short for that 💋 

BiggerPockets logo
Find, Vet and Invest in Syndications
|
BiggerPockets
PassivePockets will help you find sponsors, evaluate deals, and learn how to invest with confidence.

User Stats

Votes
Engelo Rumora
Property Manager
  • Investor
  • Toledo, OH
Votes |
Property Manager
  • Investor
  • Toledo, OH
Replied Feb 9 2024, 07:22
Quote from @James Wise:
Quote from @Michael P.:

Following

What's it look like though? Pics or it didn't happen.

Wait, let me write a book on it first… 

User Stats

Votes
Michael Smythe
Property Manager
#1 Classifieds Contributor
  • Property Manager
  • Metro Detroit
Votes |
Property Manager
#1 Classifieds Contributor
  • Property Manager
  • Metro Detroit
Replied Feb 9 2024, 07:22

Totally feel you man!

Newbies are looking for free everything:

- Education about RE investing
- Software for PM and accounting
- Money!
- Property Management: we laugh about this one!

The shocking part about it is how ignorant and lazy they are about RE Investing, but someone, somewhere hired them and is actually paying them to do something!

Some of them actually have successful careers, but are totally clueless about learning RE Investing.

Just remember, a fool and their money are soon parted.

BTW: we're always figuring out polite responses that either get them to pay us or make them go away - either way, we win!

User Stats

Votes
  • Real Estate Broker
Votes |
  • Real Estate Broker
Replied Feb 9 2024, 07:25
Quote from @Michael Smythe:

Totally feel you man!

- Money!

The shocking part about it is how ignorant and lazy they are about RE Investing, but someone, somewhere hired them and is actually paying them to do something!

Some of them actually have successful careers, but are totally clueless about learning RE Investing.

BTW: we're always figuring out polite responses that either get them to pay us or make them go away - either way, we win!

Why do you need to be polite about it?

User Stats

Votes
AJ Exner
Pro Member
  • Lender
  • Springfield, MO
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Lender
  • Springfield, MO
Replied Feb 9 2024, 07:29
Quote from @AJ Exner:

Wow mate,

That’s gut wrenching 

When something like that happens, it still stings me to this day and I’ve seen and heard it all over 12 years of running various RE businesses.

Never took S#%@ from investors and never will but the S#%@ still does sting to this day ehhh

You are not wrong!

Glad its not just me though, I’ve learned over my professional life that knowing your value and being confident in that is both a value and a skill

I’m getting too old to mess with that kind of stuff.

User Stats

Votes
  • Real Estate Broker
Votes |
  • Real Estate Broker
Replied Feb 9 2024, 07:31
Quote from @AJ Exner:
Quote from @AJ Exner:

Wow mate,

That’s gut wrenching 

You are not wrong!

Glad its not just me though, I’ve learned over my professional life that knowing your value and being confident in that is both a value and a skill

Sounds likes some of ya'll don't tell enough of these BP terds to F*** themselves. If I don't tell at least 1 investor per day to F*** Off I get too antsy. Triple that for Agents lol.

User Stats

Votes
AJ Exner
Pro Member
  • Lender
  • Springfield, MO
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Lender
  • Springfield, MO
Replied Feb 9 2024, 07:33
Quote from @James Wise:
Quote from @AJ Exner:
Quote from @AJ Exner:

Wow mate,

That’s gut wrenching 

You are not wrong!

Sounds likes some of ya'll don't tell enough of these BP terds to F*** themselves. If I don't tell at least 1 investor per day to F*** Off I get too antsy.

James, honestly, when I see that great blue avatar on a forum, I know we’re going to get some truth.

User Stats

Votes
Engelo Rumora
Property Manager
  • Investor
  • Toledo, OH
Votes |
Property Manager
  • Investor
  • Toledo, OH
Replied Feb 9 2024, 07:33

Totally feel you man!

- Money!

True that…

Nothing against newbies mate, etc..

But been around the block long enough to know when someone is trying to take advantage of us.

Since we are both in the PM business and since we talking smack on investors in this thread haha

You know what also sucks haha

When investors think the PM is a bank and will happily go into overdraft until they top up their maintenance reserve account.

I have an idea, we can do the above and act as a bank as long as I am allowed to take an investors girlfriend for a date if they aren’t in the mood to take her? 😎

Just like when they aren’t in the mood to top up the account hahaha

Jokes everyone

Kisses 😘 

User Stats

Votes
Engelo Rumora
Property Manager
  • Investor
  • Toledo, OH
Votes |
Property Manager
  • Investor
  • Toledo, OH
Replied Feb 9 2024, 07:36
Quote from @AJ Exner:
Quote from @AJ Exner:

Wow mate,

That’s gut wrenching 

You are not wrong!

Here here mate. Too old and and tired to deal with privileged behavior haha 👍

User Stats

Votes
  • Real Estate Broker
Votes |
  • Real Estate Broker
Replied Feb 9 2024, 07:42
Quote from @James Wise:

Totally feel you man!

- Money!

Why do you need to be polite about it?

People are always asking experienced investors to give back and help out the newbies. The very best way to help someone is to tell them their stupid behavior is stupid. Don't shield them from how stupid their behavior is. They may not thank you, but you helped them. Makes you a saint in my book.

User Stats

Votes
Theresa Harris
Pro Member
#2 Managing Your Property Contributor
Votes |
Pro Member
#2 Managing Your Property Contributor
Replied Feb 9 2024, 07:59
Quote from @AJ Exner:

I would have turnaround and asked them if they work for free?

User Stats

Votes
Engelo Rumora
Property Manager
  • Investor
  • Toledo, OH
Votes |
Property Manager
  • Investor
  • Toledo, OH
Replied Feb 9 2024, 08:18
Quote from @Theresa Harris:
Quote from @AJ Exner:

I would have turnaround and asked them if they work for free?

Unfortunately Theresa that’s the expectation

“I want the best deal”

“I want the best price”

“ I want the best area”

“I want the best service”

“I, I, I”

And some folks seem to be satisfied deep down inside if they get all of the above and the other suffers financially and pulls out the shorter stick per se.

Many don’t know the concept of “Win/win”

Many don’t know that if “I” win also and make money also, “I” can hire more people, invest in tech, make things faster, cheaper and better.

Making them win even more then they would have in the first place. 

It’s a shame but it is what it is.

We take it on the chin and keep moving forward

I could have exited the biz many times over last 10 years and sailed off into the sunset while leave investors hanging.

But still here and always doing our best for all 🙏👍

User Stats

Votes
Nate Marshall
  • Financial Advisor
  • Evergreen, CO
Votes |
  • Financial Advisor
  • Evergreen, CO
Replied Feb 9 2024, 08:30

They have been guru'd. Over guru'd. I would even say they have been Pace'd! 

User Stats

Votes
Nate Marshall
  • Financial Advisor
  • Evergreen, CO
Votes |
  • Financial Advisor
  • Evergreen, CO
Replied Feb 9 2024, 08:32

See all of the above!