Good deal? Suggestions?

4 Replies

I found a house today listed for 370,000. 3 bd, 3bath, 3,548 sqft. The houses needs absolutely no work. I want to acquire this as my first property. Should I try for a hard money lender? Any advice. I've been reading about this topic but so far no luck. Thanks for your time

What are you plans for the property? You've only mentioned acquiring it. Are you looking to rehab it, hold onto it and rent it, wholesale it, etc?

Promotion
Guaranteed Rate
Guaranteed Rate is a top mortgage lender
Save $1,290 on your next home – no lender fee*
Get special perks like $1,290 in lender fee savings when you buy a second home with Guaranteed Rate.
Apply Now

Keep in mind that you are going to have to come up with somewhere between $100,000 and $120,000 cash to finance this deal with hard money. I'd recommend starting with something a bit smaller for your first project.

It is my experience that $300,000 properties don't command enough rent to be buy-and-holds. It is also my experience that I can't get significant bargains on properties that need no rehab. The last thing is that it is my experience that hard money is too expensive to make money on appreciation or rentals.

Good luck.

Bill

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

We hate spam just as much as you