Skip to content
General Real Estate Investing

User Stats

Votes
Thomas Blocker
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Sacramento, CA
Votes |
Anyone in Sacramento use a Owner-Build Permit for ADU?

Thomas Blocker
  • Sacramento, CA
Posted May 9 2024, 14:00

Hey there!

I'm planning to build one of the preapproved ADU plans provided by the city of Sacramento in my backyard (using a an owner-build permit). I'm currently completing the site map of my property so I can submit my permit application. I have all my bids and estimates from my subcontractors so I'm getting really close! I would love to connect with someone currently going through the process or who has completed the ADU build. I have questions around lining up subcontractor timelines, inspections, what to pay close attention too, what you learned, etc...

Thanks in advance!

Tom

User Stats

Votes
Clint Jusino
Pro Member
  • Dallas
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Dallas
Replied May 9 2024, 15:54
Quote from @Thomas Blocker:

Hey there!

I'm planning to build one of the preapproved ADU plans provided by the city of Sacramento in my backyard (using a an owner-build permit). I'm currently completing the site map of my property so I can submit my permit application. I have all my bids and estimates from my subcontractors so I'm getting really close! I would love to connect with someone currently going through the process or who has completed the ADU build. I have questions around lining up subcontractor timelines, inspections, what to pay close attention too, what you learned, etc...

Thanks in advance!

Tom

I'm curious as well. @Thomas Blocker what software are you using for the site plans? I'm trying to do the same thing here in the Dallas area.

User Stats

Votes
Thomas Blocker
  • Sacramento, CA
Votes |
  • Sacramento, CA
Replied May 14 2024, 21:04

Hey Clint - I'm using a 30 day free trial of Autodesk Fusion 360. I used this Youtube channel to learn how to create floorplans. You only need to do a 2d site plan (which you can do with this software), but I chose to use this software because I wanted to create a 3d floorplan to see what the space would actually look like when you're inside.

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Dan Sundberg
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Sacramento, CA
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Sacramento, CA
Replied May 15 2024, 08:18

Hey @Thomas Blocker congrats that sounds like an awesome project and like you've made great progress. I completed an owner build garage conversion in Sac in 2022 and would be happy to share my experiences. Shoot me a DM and we can connect. 

User Stats

Votes
Eduardo Aguilar
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Sacramento, CA
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Sacramento, CA
Replied May 16 2024, 15:34

Hi Guys- excited for you to get your project going. I have a few construction crews that I regularly work with as well as a Draftsman that helps both with drafting plans as well as managing the permit. If you have experience in managing construction, then you should feel comfortable filing an Owner Builder permit. Given your question however, I get the sense that this might be your first time managing a project like this and so would strongly advise that you connect with a General Contractor that you can trust as it will end up saving you a lot of time and money over doing it on your.

I recently helped connect a friend of a friend to one of my contractors who had started the build on his 400 sqft ADU with a contractor that he found online. After nearly a year of construction and about $40K in costs, all that had gotten done was the laying of the plumbing and foundation, the prior of which my contractor had to redo. Once my contractor took over the project, he was able to sync everything up and keep the project on tract to complete it within a 10 week period.

I share this not to discourage you from embarking on this project with you as a manager, but I flip homes and have seen for myself the incredible savings in time and money that can be activated when you have the right person overseeing the project and who has the relationships with the subs that can make sure to push them and hold them accountable. Absent these type of relationships, I've seen to many projects get delay or fully stall out as the disconnected subs end up causing delays or the need to redo work that got done by a different sub. 

Happy to offer up some more insights if you're interested. Feel free to DM me. 

User Stats

Votes
Brian Larson
  • Investor
  • San Jose, CA
Votes |
  • Investor
  • San Jose, CA
Replied May 16 2024, 20:41

@Thomas Blocker - Sounds like a cool project.  What part of Sacramento are you planning this work in?