Mouse Infested House

5 Replies

Rehab Question:

What do you do with a house that has tons of mice running around? Do you follow any specific "mediation" practices?

I understand the mice will leave after the home is gutted but I'm looking for best practices or "CYA" practices when flipping a house with a rodent problem?

Thanks!

I do not envy your mice problem. You can either play whack-a-mole (not recommended!) or hire a profession rodent exterminator. Depending on the size of the nest, it could cost you several hundred dollars to get rid of them for good. I would recommend the latter, along with some form of guarantee they will not return. Good luck!

Thanks @Kerry Smith

Maybe I should buy a BB gun and have some fun!

Good call on the exterminator giving a guarantee.

Originally posted by @Justin Morgan :
What do you do with a house that has tons of mice running around? Do you follow any specific "mediation" practices?

Evict them! :)

Definitely get a good exterminator and get a guarantee like the other poster mentioned. Some will give a guarantee for a few months after the treatment.

Buy a bunch of snakes.

Or just hire a professional so you know they're gone when you try to sell it. You can put out bait and traps but you'll be dealing with dead mice every day with no guaruntee you'll get them all before you start finishing everything and really can't have them there.

Originally posted by @Justin Morgan :
Rehab Question:

I understand the mice will leave after the home is gutted but I'm looking for best practices or "CYA" practices when flipping a house with a rodent problem?

Thanks!

The first thing you need to do is determine how the are getting in (got in) and plug those holes! After that its just a matter of keeping traps set for a couple of weeks until you've caught them all. Or have an exterminator catch them all for you. But first make sure that no more can get in after the current batch is eradicated.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.

By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.