Are You Overlooking These Critical Numbers in Your Rental Property Analysis?

Are You Overlooking These Critical Numbers in Your Rental Property Analysis?

Lender · UT · Member since 2023 · 26 posts · 20 votes

Many investors make the mistake of only looking at gross rent vs. mortgage payment when underwriting a rental property. But that approach leaves out critical numbers that can make or break your cash flow.

Some key metrics I always factor in:

✅ Cap rate – How profitable is this property compared to its value?
✅ Cash-on-cash ROI – What’s your actual return based on cash invested?
✅ Property management & maintenance costs – Are you accounting for these hidden expenses?
✅ Rehab & capital expenditures – Are you setting aside reserves for repairs?

I recently broke down how I analyze deals using a rental pro forma to ensure I’m seeing the full picture before making a move. If you're not factoring in these numbers, you could be missing key risks.

How do you approach your deal analysis? What are your must-have metrics before pulling the trigger on a rental property?

4Reply
31 views

2 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Rental Property Investor · San Francisco Bay Area · Member since 2022 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    1y

    -  Property tax

    -  Insurance costs

    -  Rental rates for long term rentals and mid term rentals 

    I ask the agent is there a property tax cap increase for investors. What is the base property tax rate? Does this city have special assessments added onto the base property tax?

    My focus is single family homes so the current owner may be a primary homeowner who may get a homeowner's exemption (called homestead exemption in some locations), so an investor would be paying a higher property tax. Is the value re-assessed upon purchase price? This is done in California, but not other states. 

    Insurance costs - staying away from wildfire areas and flood zones

  • Lender · UT · Member since 2023 · 26 posts · 20 votes
    1y

    Great points! Property taxes and insurance costs can definitely make or break an investment, especially with how they vary by location and property type. I like your approach of digging into tax caps, reassessments, and special assessments—those can catch investors off guard if they’re not paying attention.

    For insurance, I’ve seen investors shifting their focus away from high-risk areas due to skyrocketing premiums. Are you seeing any particular markets where this is becoming a bigger issue?

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.