LLC Formation Recommendations

Most Popular Reply

Attorney · Las Vegas, NV · Member since 2025 · 69 posts · 91 votes
1y

Hi Misael,

Setting up an LLC for your rental property is something that I strongly recommend for all of my clients to provide them with asset protection. Glad you're already taking this step.

LLCs can help shield you from personal liability if a tenant were to ever sue as well as offer protection against creditors in case of a personal judgment through charging order protection, when the LLC has been structured appropriately. With the property in an LLC, if someone were to sue the property, they could only go after the assets in the LLC and not anything else (again, assuming you did not guarantee anything personally and the corporate veil has not been pierced).

Also, depending on the structure, you can keep your name off the public record as the owner of the property and even as part of the LLC. For my clients, I recommend that they place the properties in an LLC that has been formed in the state where the property is located and have the member of that LLC be a Wyoming LLC. This provides for both anonymity as well as charging order protection.

If you took out a loan to purchase the property, depending on the type of loan, you may benefit from a land trust. Depending on the terms of the mortgage, transferring the property to an LLC may be considered a sale, thus triggering the due-on-sale clause. However, putting it into a land trust first avoids triggering the due-on-sale clause.

While there are inexpensive DIY options out there, I recommend working with a local attorney to help you set up your LLC. I've had the opportunity to review a number of templates from companies, like LegalZoom, and have found that they often lack the necessary detail and thoroughness required for effective business management. Important sections are frequently omitted, which can create challenges in day-to-day operations and long-term planning.

This lack of comprehensive documentation becomes especially problematic if you ever consider bringing in partners or expanding your team. In my experience, the materials provided by these companies rarely offer sufficient guidance or clarity to support such transitions smoothly.

I recommend working with a local attorney to help craft contracts that address all your needs and allow for long-term growth and expansion, or, at the very least, have an attorney review the Operating Agreements you draft on your own or through a DIY company and suggest revisions so that they better suit your needs.

Good luck with your property! 



Note: This information is for educational and informational purposes only and does not constitute legal, tax, or financial advice. No attorney-client, fiduciary, or professional relationship is established through this communication.

See this reply in the discussion

15 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Real Estate Consultant · Globally · Member since 2019 · 54 posts · 37 votes
    1y

    Congrats on making the move—transitioning your rental into an LLC is a smart play for liability protection and long-term growth. A few solid resources I usually recommend:

    Nolo and LegalZoom are great for DIY guidance if you're comfortable handling the basics yourself.

    If you’re looking for a more hands-off route, working with a local real estate attorney or CPA is gold—they can help make sure the structure aligns with your long-term investment goals and state-specific rules.

    Lastly, don't skip updating your lease agreements and informing your lender (if there's a mortgage involved), since transferring title into an LLC can trigger the due-on-sale clause in some cases.

  • Financial Advisor · Olathe, KS · Member since 2022 · 36 posts · 9 votes
    1y

    THANK YOU so much for this!!

  • Investor · Member since 2024 · 83 posts · 58 votes
    1y

    Hey Misael! That's such an exciting step, congrats on setting up your LLC! We went through that process when we started transitioning our properties too, and I know it can feel like a lot at first.

    A few resources I found helpful:

    • Bizee offers some step-by-step guides, though I’d recommend customizing based on your state’s specific requirements.

    • If you're planning to grow your portfolio, connecting with a real estate-savvy CPA and attorney early on is huge, they can help structure things to protect your assets and optimize your tax situation.

    If you ever want to bounce ideas around or hear how we did it (and what I wish I knew earlier), feel free to reach out. Give me a follow back so we can stay connected, I love supporting others on this journey!

    You’ve got this!

    • Financial Advisor · Olathe, KS · Member since 2022 · 36 posts · 9 votes
      1y
      Quote from @Laura Navaquin:

      Hey Misael! That's such an exciting step, congrats on setting up your LLC! We went through that process when we started transitioning our properties too, and I know it can feel like a lot at first.

      A few resources I found helpful:

      • Bizee offers some step-by-step guides, though I’d recommend customizing based on your state’s specific requirements.

      • If you're planning to grow your portfolio, connecting with a real estate-savvy CPA and attorney early on is huge, they can help structure things to protect your assets and optimize your tax situation.

      If you ever want to bounce ideas around or hear how we did it (and what I wish I knew earlier), feel free to reach out. Give me a follow back so we can stay connected, I love supporting others on this journey!

      You’ve got this!


      Thank you very much. I ended up going with my CPA. His fee ended up being less than the online sources I was looking at and he's local. One question I have for you, though, did you get a registered agent for your LLC, or did you list yourself as your own registered agent?

    • Investor · Member since 2024 · 83 posts · 58 votes
      1y
      Quote from @Misael Herrera Granados:
      Quote from @Laura Navaquin:

      Hey Misael! That's such an exciting step, congrats on setting up your LLC! We went through that process when we started transitioning our properties too, and I know it can feel like a lot at first.

      A few resources I found helpful:

      • Bizee offers some step-by-step guides, though I’d recommend customizing based on your state’s specific requirements.

      • If you're planning to grow your portfolio, connecting with a real estate-savvy CPA and attorney early on is huge, they can help structure things to protect your assets and optimize your tax situation.

      If you ever want to bounce ideas around or hear how we did it (and what I wish I knew earlier), feel free to reach out. Give me a follow back so we can stay connected, I love supporting others on this journey!

      You’ve got this!


      Thank you very much. I ended up going with my CPA. His fee ended up being less than the online sources I was looking at and he's local. One question I have for you, though, did you get a registered agent for your LLC, or did you list yourself as your own registered agent?


       I got a registered agent for each business. 

  • Attorney · Las Vegas, NV · Member since 2025 · 69 posts · 91 votes
    1y

    Hi Misael,

    Setting up an LLC for your rental property is something that I strongly recommend for all of my clients to provide them with asset protection. Glad you're already taking this step.

    LLCs can help shield you from personal liability if a tenant were to ever sue as well as offer protection against creditors in case of a personal judgment through charging order protection, when the LLC has been structured appropriately. With the property in an LLC, if someone were to sue the property, they could only go after the assets in the LLC and not anything else (again, assuming you did not guarantee anything personally and the corporate veil has not been pierced).

    Also, depending on the structure, you can keep your name off the public record as the owner of the property and even as part of the LLC. For my clients, I recommend that they place the properties in an LLC that has been formed in the state where the property is located and have the member of that LLC be a Wyoming LLC. This provides for both anonymity as well as charging order protection.

    If you took out a loan to purchase the property, depending on the type of loan, you may benefit from a land trust. Depending on the terms of the mortgage, transferring the property to an LLC may be considered a sale, thus triggering the due-on-sale clause. However, putting it into a land trust first avoids triggering the due-on-sale clause.

    While there are inexpensive DIY options out there, I recommend working with a local attorney to help you set up your LLC. I've had the opportunity to review a number of templates from companies, like LegalZoom, and have found that they often lack the necessary detail and thoroughness required for effective business management. Important sections are frequently omitted, which can create challenges in day-to-day operations and long-term planning.

    This lack of comprehensive documentation becomes especially problematic if you ever consider bringing in partners or expanding your team. In my experience, the materials provided by these companies rarely offer sufficient guidance or clarity to support such transitions smoothly.

    I recommend working with a local attorney to help craft contracts that address all your needs and allow for long-term growth and expansion, or, at the very least, have an attorney review the Operating Agreements you draft on your own or through a DIY company and suggest revisions so that they better suit your needs.

    Good luck with your property! 



    Note: This information is for educational and informational purposes only and does not constitute legal, tax, or financial advice. No attorney-client, fiduciary, or professional relationship is established through this communication.

    • Financial Advisor · Olathe, KS · Member since 2022 · 36 posts · 9 votes
      1y
      Quote from @Savannah Wallace:

      Hi Misael,

      Setting up an LLC for your rental property is something that I strongly recommend for all of my clients to provide them with asset protection. Glad you're already taking this step.

      LLCs can help shield you from personal liability if a tenant were to ever sue as well as offer protection against creditors in case of a personal judgment through charging order protection, when the LLC has been structured appropriately. With the property in an LLC, if someone were to sue the property, they could only go after the assets in the LLC and not anything else (again, assuming you did not guarantee anything personally and the corporate veil has not been pierced).

      Also, depending on the structure, you can keep your name off the public record as the owner of the property and even as part of the LLC. For my clients, I recommend that they place the properties in an LLC that has been formed in the state where the property is located and have the member of that LLC be a Wyoming LLC. This provides for both anonymity as well as charging order protection.

      If you took out a loan to purchase the property, depending on the type of loan, you may benefit from a land trust. Depending on the terms of the mortgage, transferring the property to an LLC may be considered a sale, thus triggering the due-on-sale clause. However, putting it into a land trust first avoids triggering the due-on-sale clause.

      While there are inexpensive DIY options out there, I recommend working with a local attorney to help you set up your LLC. I've had the opportunity to review a number of templates from companies, like LegalZoom, and have found that they often lack the necessary detail and thoroughness required for effective business management. Important sections are frequently omitted, which can create challenges in day-to-day operations and long-term planning.

      This lack of comprehensive documentation becomes especially problematic if you ever consider bringing in partners or expanding your team. In my experience, the materials provided by these companies rarely offer sufficient guidance or clarity to support such transitions smoothly.

      I recommend working with a local attorney to help craft contracts that address all your needs and allow for long-term growth and expansion, or, at the very least, have an attorney review the Operating Agreements you draft on your own or through a DIY company and suggest revisions so that they better suit your needs.

      Good luck with your property! 



      Note: This information is for educational and informational purposes only and does not constitute legal, tax, or financial advice. No attorney-client, fiduciary, or professional relationship is established through this communication.


      Thank you very much this is very informative and helpful! I'm having my CPA help me setting up the LLC. I was planning on going to a local attorney for the transitioning of the properties from my ownership to the LLC to avoid triggering the due-on-sale clause. Do you think this is appropriate?

    • Attorney · Las Vegas, NV · Member since 2025 · 69 posts · 91 votes
      1y
      Quote from @Misael Herrera Granados:
      Quote from @Savannah Wallace:

      Hi Misael,

      Setting up an LLC for your rental property is something that I strongly recommend for all of my clients to provide them with asset protection. Glad you're already taking this step.

      LLCs can help shield you from personal liability if a tenant were to ever sue as well as offer protection against creditors in case of a personal judgment through charging order protection, when the LLC has been structured appropriately. With the property in an LLC, if someone were to sue the property, they could only go after the assets in the LLC and not anything else (again, assuming you did not guarantee anything personally and the corporate veil has not been pierced).

      Also, depending on the structure, you can keep your name off the public record as the owner of the property and even as part of the LLC. For my clients, I recommend that they place the properties in an LLC that has been formed in the state where the property is located and have the member of that LLC be a Wyoming LLC. This provides for both anonymity as well as charging order protection.

      If you took out a loan to purchase the property, depending on the type of loan, you may benefit from a land trust. Depending on the terms of the mortgage, transferring the property to an LLC may be considered a sale, thus triggering the due-on-sale clause. However, putting it into a land trust first avoids triggering the due-on-sale clause.

      While there are inexpensive DIY options out there, I recommend working with a local attorney to help you set up your LLC. I've had the opportunity to review a number of templates from companies, like LegalZoom, and have found that they often lack the necessary detail and thoroughness required for effective business management. Important sections are frequently omitted, which can create challenges in day-to-day operations and long-term planning.

      This lack of comprehensive documentation becomes especially problematic if you ever consider bringing in partners or expanding your team. In my experience, the materials provided by these companies rarely offer sufficient guidance or clarity to support such transitions smoothly.

      I recommend working with a local attorney to help craft contracts that address all your needs and allow for long-term growth and expansion, or, at the very least, have an attorney review the Operating Agreements you draft on your own or through a DIY company and suggest revisions so that they better suit your needs.

      Good luck with your property! 



      Note: This information is for educational and informational purposes only and does not constitute legal, tax, or financial advice. No attorney-client, fiduciary, or professional relationship is established through this communication.


      Thank you very much this is very informative and helpful! I'm having my CPA help me setting up the LLC. I was planning on going to a local attorney for the transitioning of the properties from my ownership to the LLC to avoid triggering the due-on-sale clause. Do you think this is appropriate?


       Happy to help! 

      Depending on the type of mortgage on the property, if you're looking at moving the property out of your name and into the LLC, then you may benefit from a land trust. Depending on the terms of the mortgage, transferring the property to an LLC may be considered a sale, thus triggering the due-on-sale clause that you mentioned. However, putting it into a land trust first avoids triggering the due on sale clause. Land trusts are revocable grantor trusts and under the Garn St. Germain Act, transfers of property to revocable grantor trusts are exempt, therefore, a transfer to this type of trust will not trigger the due-on-sale clause. Working with an attorney on these transfers is a good strategy.



      Note: This information is for educational and informational purposes only and does not constitute legal, tax, or financial advice. No attorney-client, fiduciary, or professional relationship is established through this communication.

  • Member since 2019 · 15 posts · 1 vote
    1y

    Hi Savannah,

    You are pretty detail and very knowledgeable. I formed my parent LLC in Wy and my others in NY. My challenge is the anonymous part. I did the EIN myself providing my info to the IRS and when open the bank accounts, the banks asked for my personal information (Name, address, phone and of course SSN). I realized the mistakes after the fact. I wanted to close those LLC's and reopen other ones but I cannot find any LLC formation services that open bank accounts on behalf of the LLC's.

    Any thoughts.


    Thank you,

    Jean

    • Attorney · Las Vegas, NV · Member since 2025 · 69 posts · 91 votes
      1y
      Quote from @Jean Wilner Wilner:

      Hi Savannah,

      You are pretty detail and very knowledgeable. I formed my parent LLC in Wy and my others in NY. My challenge is the anonymous part. I did the EIN myself providing my info to the IRS and when open the bank accounts, the banks asked for my personal information (Name, address, phone and of course SSN). I realized the mistakes after the fact. I wanted to close those LLC's and reopen other ones but I cannot find any LLC formation services that open bank accounts on behalf of the LLC's.

      Any thoughts.


      Thank you,

      Jean


       Hi Jean, 

      To open a bank account on behalf of an entity, you are required to provide personal information such as your name, address, and SSN. This is generally part of the bank's "Know Your Customer" (KYC) regulation requirements. It's okay to provide this information to the bank. Information provided to the bank is not made public, so you don't hurt any kind of anonymity or asset protection by providing your personal details to the bank. If you listed your personal information, such as your address, with the Secretary of State when you filed the entity, that's when we'd want to consider amending or dissolving and starting the entity over. 

    • Member since 2025 · 4 posts · 0 votes
      1y
      Quote from @Jean Wilner Wilner:

      Hi Savannah,

      You are pretty detail and very knowledgeable. I formed my parent LLC in Wy and my others in NY. My challenge is the anonymous part. I did the EIN myself providing my info to the IRS and when open the bank accounts, the banks asked for my personal information (Name, address, phone and of course SSN). I realized the mistakes after the fact. I wanted to close those LLC's and reopen other ones but I cannot find any LLC formation services that open bank accounts on behalf of the LLC's.

      Any thoughts.


      Thank you,

      Jean


      Hi Jean - we, GrowIt, open bank accounts in the name of LLCs...happy to chat if you'd like to learn more. We open a bank account with Brex.com for every new LLC we open for you and we can open accounts for existing LLCs as well.

  • Member since 2019 · 15 posts · 1 vote
    1y

    @Savannah Wallace

    Good morning Savannah,

    Thank you for the clarification and all the explanation.

    Jean

  • Member since 2019 · 15 posts · 1 vote
    1y

    Good afternoon all,

    I met a guy who formed a WY LLC and a couple NY LLC's who told me that he rent a PO Box in his town for the LLC's mailing address and use the Registered Agent address for legals. He was saying he is cheaper and more convenient since he uses the same PO Box for all the LLC's and it is in his town. Before I get into something like that, I said let me mention it here to confirm it is a good idea first.

    Thank you,

    Jean
     

  • Member since 2019 · 15 posts · 1 vote
    1y

    @Account Closed

    Hi Lucas,

    I have taken care of the accounts. However, I see that your company offers homeowner's and/or landlord policies. We can chat about that since I am shopping for some quote for New York, Long Island.

    Thank you,

    Jean

  • Ashish AcharyaBusiness Member
    CPA, CFP®, PFS · FL · Member since 2017 · 5k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    1y

    @Misael Herrera Granados If you're transitioning a rental into an LLC, here are a few solid resources and steps to guide you through the process:

    1. State Secretary of State Website – This is where you'll officially form your LLC. Most states let you file online in 15–30 minutes. Look for your specific state's site (e.g., sos.ca.gov for California).
    2. Registered Agent Services – Use a reliable service like Northwest Registered Agent, IncFile, or ZenBusiness if you want privacy and help managing state compliance.
    3. Operating Agreement Templates – Nolo.com and LawDepot offer solid templates. If you have partners or plan to bring in investors later, consider having an attorney draft or review it. AI can draft if you are not tyring to pay someone.
    4. EIN from IRS – Free and easy to get from the IRS website, needed for banking and tax purposes.
    5. Transfer Title Cautiously – If you're moving a property into the LLC, check with your lender first—some mortgages have due-on-sale clauses. Also confirm with your county about transfer tax or recording fees.

      Remember, LLC for rental property does not give you any tax benefit.

    This post does not create a CPA-Client relationship. The information contained in this post is not to be relied upon. Readers should seek professional advice.

    INVESTOR FRIENDLY CPA®5241 Reviews
    TaxMD™ | AI-Powered Tax Planning
Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.