BiggerPockets Podcast 063 With J Scott

7 Replies

I recently had the opportunity to listen to Bigger Pockets Podcast 063.

Lots of great information was shared. I want to take time to highlight two of the resources that were shared. You may have already seen and read these but in case you didn’t, you may want to take a look at them. The authors have provided a tremendous amount of incredible information in these two resources. The two resources that I am referring to are “Real Estate Rewind: The BiggerPockets Community Book!” and “J Scott’s Diary of a New Construction Project”.

If you have had the chance to listen to BiggerPockets Podcast 063, I would love to hear your feedback. What were the best takeaways for you?

@Karen A. J. Scott provides tons of great info. But then I have listened to all of the podcasts, and even those about topics I am not currently involved in or intested in were worth listening to. It's good to broaden your exposure so you find different ways to approach problems (and avoid them).

I would also highly recommend J. Scotts eBook. Great source. I am sure I got less than most would because I have done many rehabs, but it was well worth my money so for someone who has not done flips it would be a great resource.

Originally posted by @Walt Payne : "It's good to broaden your exposure so you find different ways to approach problems (and avoid them)."

@Walt Payne I agree that broadening one's exposure is important. Doing so can prove to be extremely valuable in so many arenas.

You mentioned an ebook by J Scott. Would you mind sharing the title of the ebook that you are referring to? Thanks.

Hey J,

You were talking (BP show 63) about if you could find a guy that knows all aspect of the business he's probably your competition (around 12:50 minutes into the show).

I am believe I am or in short time will be that guy, (not the competition yet) but because of Analyst Paralysis and a lack of funding I'm still on the fence. I'm looking to be someones Boots on the Ground. Let me tell you why I think I am a good candidate.

I am a 3rd Generation Fl. State licensed General Contractor. Since 1985

(Note this license allows licensee to automatically the same privileges as a St. Cert. Pool Contractor)

I am a 3rd Generation Fl. licensed Real Estate Broker. (30 yrs as sales asso.

Last 4 years as a Broker.) SFR designation

I am a Fl. licensed Home Inspector.

I am a Fl. licensed Cert. Lead Based Paint Renovator.

I am a Licenses 520 All Lines Independent Insurance Adjuster.

I am a Master Carpenter by trade.

For the last 29 years I have run a successful Design Build construction company. Remodeling, New & Spec Construction. I'm a 1 man show responsible for sales negotiation, design, writing custom contracts, supervision, accounting, The company opened in 1985 and has never had a complaint filed on it (or me) and neither have ever have even been threatened with a law suit. ( pretty hard to say in this business)

I 2011, I said screw this economy and shipped my boat to the Virgin Islands where I started a Charter boat business. While I was there that's when looked into R.E.Investing and have been studying it ever since.

I moved back last Summer where I recently formed Real Estate / Construction Co.,LRB Homes LLC. with a focus on Vacation Rentals. I am an active member of JaxREIA. I have taken every class offered to date including their Master Series.

I'm telling you this in case you or you know someone that could use someone with these skill sets. I would like to entertain a partnership or association with legitimate investor(s) that might want to work with me.

I live in the Jacksonville Beaches area of N.E. Fl.

Wow, i didn't mean for this to be this long.

If you made it this far…. thanks.

Looking forward to your response and your next podcast.

Hal

Hey Hal,

Thanks for the message! I'm not currently considering doing any investing in Florida, but if that should change, I'll certainly let you know...it sounds like you have some great experience and skillset!

J Scott Hello J, I have been reading your book on flipping, I have read many books your definitely has great information that other books don't have. Great job!
I do have a question,
I am looking at a house in my farm area that is selling at the same square foot price as a retail house. My question is, should I put the offer in at 50% less of the retail going price. Minus the repair cost? Or just 50% less a square foot than retail price?
I also did some market research and I found 3 houses that sold in the last 1 1/2. That was out of 3. Would you consider this good? As far as ratio? I'm confused only because there were not a lot of sales in this area.
I should tell you the farm area I chose is within 10 miles of my personal home. This house I'm looking at is in a more rural area than mine. About 10 years ago you couldn't even buy in this area unless you bought 5 acres. This was before the boom and developers bought it all and split the land to make subdivisions. It has slowly came back the last couple of years and I'm starting to see developers build again.
What's your thoughts on that?
I look forward to hearing from you.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here