I came across a single-family home that’s currently tenant-occupied with about 10 months remaining on the lease. Once the lease ends, I plan to have the property professionally managed. Based on projected rent, minus the mortgage and property management fees, I’d be cash flowing around $800–$1,000 per month (not factoring in vacancy, as the PM company offers a guaranteed rent program).
That said, I know there’s risk involved. Even though evictions in Phoenix are relatively straightforward, there’s always the chance of tenant issues or property damage.
I’m considering making a lower offer to account for those risks. Have any of you bought tenant-occupied properties before? Would you go for it in this situation? And what strategies would you recommend to minimize risk?
Lender · MA · Member since 2021 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
1y
@Ying Tang Walk the property and see what type of condition it's in, look to see how the tenants are living. That will tell you a lot. It's not always bad inheriting tenants. You could also ask the seller to provide records of rental payments for you. If they live clean and pay on time, it will probably be OK.
@Matthew Crivelli Thanks! The property has been sitting on the market for a while, which definitely raises some red flags. That said, the lack of interest might simply be because many investors don’t want to take on an inherited tenant. I assume it could end up being an opportunity if the numbers work and the risk is priced in.
Contractor/Investor/Consultant · San Diego / Phoenix · Member since 2021 · 12k+ posts · 15k+ votes
1y
Sounds like great cash-flow. Ask about the tenant verification items like Credit score and past history. They don't have to share (may not be legal) but then you can withdraw your offer. Have you met the tenant? What's your gut feeling?
@Bruce Woodruff They want an accepted offer before the showing, to minimize disturbance to the tenants. I guess I can put an offer in. If things don't check out, I can always withdraw.
Many of my clients purchase properties that come with existing leases. The advantage is immediate rental income and avoiding the time, expense, and uncertainty of securing a new tenant. However, this approach carries certain risks: most notably, you're bound by the terms of the current lease, which may not align with your standards or expectations.
As part of your due diligence, it's wise to request the tenant’s application materials, credit and background checks, payment history, and details on the security deposit. If possible, speak directly with the current landlord or property manager to gain insights into their experience with the tenant.
If the lease terms are less than ideal—for example, if the rent is below market or there’s a risk of vacancy or turnover costs—it’s completely reasonable to reflect that in your offer price. You might also consider negotiating a seller credit at closing to help offset future repair costs or lease transition expenses.
Should you decide to move forward with the purchase, be sure to implement a strong asset protection strategy. This can shield you from potential legal issues related to the property and safeguard your investment in the event of personal litigation. A well-structured plan can reduce the likelihood of lawsuits (especially frivolous ones) and improve your ability to settle disputes efficiently.
Best of luck with your investment!
Disclaimer: This content is for educational and informational purposes only and does not constitute legal, tax, financial, or investment advice. No attorney-client, fiduciary, or professional relationship is established through this communication.
Thank you so much for taking the time to share such a thoughtful and thorough response. I really appreciate your insight—it gave me a much clearer perspective on how to evaluate tenant-occupied properties and what to look out for during due diligence.
Your point about asset protection is something I hadn’t fully considered, so I’m especially grateful for that advice. I’ll definitely be factoring all of this into my next steps.
Real Estate Agent · Kansas City · Member since 2018 · 4k+ posts · 3k+ votes
1y
I would always assume a buffer when looking at ones that are rented. You'll want to review the lease, walk the property, and make sure they are up to date on rent. Even with verifying tenants can go cold turkey once it sells. Rented property do have longer DOM since the buyer pool is slim and there's more hurdles for getting inside.
Property Manager · Royal Oak, MI · Member since 2012 · 12k+ posts · 9k+ votes
1y
@E.J. McCaffrey a seller can't share a tenant's confidential information without the tenant's written consent - which the tenant has no legal requirement to give!
The only exception is if the lease the tenant signed clearly states their info can be assigned to a future buyer - but even then, it cannot be shared until the purchase closes.
Now what?
@Ying Tang you should ask how when the tenant moved in and for a copy of their rent ledger. You can also ask for a list of tenant requested repairs.
The main worries are if the seller is faking or hiding any tenant-related issues or if they tenant is just a pain.
To cover fraud, you can require the seller to personally sign reps & warrants, which will hold them personally liable.
@Drew Sygit Thanks so much for sharing your insights! I have never thought about asking seller to sign personal reps & warrants before you brought this up. It's a very good suggestion. Thank you!!
@Nicholas L. I'm with Nicholas here. Ying, do you have a deal analysis you could post? At least posting the Mortage payment amount, rent amount, and rehab expenses could help some folks on here estimate your actual cash flow.
@Nicholas L. Hi Nicolas! At its current rate, it won't cash flow that much. We need to do some value adds to achieve that. Need to invest about $20k-30k to achieve.
Rental Property Investor · Member since 2018 · 826 posts · 810 votes
1y
I agree the underwriting doesn't seem correct on this, especially with how competitive Phoenix is.
In additional to walking the property to gauge living condition, I also suggest you get an estoppel. That will increase odds of owner disclosing tenancy issues.
After doing your due diligence, you should be more confident in your risk mitigations. At the end of the day, evictions in Phoenix are fairly straight forward and there are strong resources like HHH who can support you if you ever need to evict.
@Allan C. Thanks for sharing your insights! You are correct. The current rent won't cash flow much. I didn't mention about an opportunity for value adds on this property as I thought it's not so relevant to tenant issue. Thanks for bringing up the estoppel! I had no idea what that it and just looked it up. It seems to be a good idea to include that. Really appreciate your reply!!
Investor · Fort Washington, MD · Member since 2014 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
1y
Walking into a retail property that cashflows that much from jump is not common. Without question, if that is the case, it would not be sitting there a long time. I assume a tenant in place would be intimidating for someone new to the game, but I there would no way be tons of experienced investors bypassing a good deal for that reason. MLS deals are limited, and you have investors watching out for that around the clock. It would have been snatched up a long time ago if that was the only perceived issue. My instincts tell me something else is wrong. Maybe your numbers are off. Maybe something is extensively jacked up. Could be mass code violations that need to be addressed. Do you know the community? What class level is it? How is the crime? Do you have accurate comps? For me, I'd do everything I could to uncover potential problems. For a great deal the tenant part doesn't matter at all to me because I know how to mitigate problems on that end. My very first property from the MLS looked pretty good. Once I got it, as a newbie, I realized the place was damn near unrentable because of the chaos in the community. A ten-month lease is ten months A great deal can be a wealth machine for decades. See what is going on for real.
@Mark Cruse Thanks for your insights! It does not cash flow that much in current situation. I didn't clarify that there are two value add opportunities to add rooms easily which will bring up the rent. My original post was more about tenants issue so I didn't include that info. But as many people questioned the cash flow, it indeed does not cash flow much currently. I'll do the due diligence with tenants. However, I just found another thing that could be a red flag. It's the listing agent. He is, how do I put it, very rude ?... he don't pick up phones and when he eventually called me, he's super rude. He asks me how much I'm offering before they even let me see the house...I'm even a bit intimidated by him, and will ask my husband to go with me in the tour. I don't know if other potential buyer would see this as a red flag too.
@Mark Cruse Thanks for your insights! It does not cash flow that much in current situation. I didn't clarify that there are two value add opportunities to add rooms easily which will bring up the rent. My original post was more about tenants issue so I didn't include that info. But as many people questioned the cash flow, it indeed does not cash flow much currently. I'll do the due diligence with tenants. However, I just found another thing that could be a red flag. It's the listing agent. He is, how do I put it, very rude ?... he don't pick up phones and when he eventually called me, he's super rude. He asks me how much I'm offering before they even let me see the house...I'm even a bit intimidated by him, and will ask my husband to go with me in the tour. I don't know if other potential buyer would see this as a red flag too.
Sounds good. I'm glad you are on top of it. Just be careful. Make sure that add value strategy is valid. Make sure you thoroughly understand the neighborhood and comps. Make sure an ADU is even legal or how much is involved. In terms of the rude realtor, it has nothing to do with the deal. Some people are just rude. He wont show that to your husband when he comes. He should be more professional, but on the flip side he could be going through a lot with this. May just be frustrated even though its no excuse. He could have all kinds of newbies and low ballers wasting his time. You have to weed that stuff out. I have a rental now, with dozens of people requesting viewings. I live over an hour away. Most of these people asking for viewings without and application in don't even meet the minimum credit requierment. I don't have time to waste on that. I need to do 200 viewings when 175 don't qualify? I weed them out. I hope I don't come off rude to them, but its how things go sometimes. Either way, do your research and take your man with you. Tell us what you find out.
Rental Property Investor · Grand Prairie, TX · Member since 2018 · 2k+ posts · 2k+ votes
1y
@Ying Tang
I’ve bought 25 rental houses this way with tenants in place with leases. I would go for it. Walk it first and talk to the tenants when you stop by to ask them what’s wrong with the house. lol. And how long they would like to stay if you keep them beyond the lease. Also ask the listing agent why they are selling it to help leverage your price. I only use the listing agents when I buy for this reason. They represent the seller first and foremost, but they always tell me good intel on the seller and I use that to my advantage when I make an offer. Especially the ones going through a divorce or are really motivated to sell it asap. I get great deals this way because the buyer has to honor their lease and that limits them to sell only to buy n hold investors. Flippers can’t buy the properties because they want to flip it right away. Families can’t buy them either. So I buy them at a steep discount because the seller is desperate and has no one else to sell to. And almost all of mine were rented out well under market rent so the sellers were really screwed because not many people want to buy rentals with low cash flow. I’ll take these “base hits” because they will be money makers for me over time as I raise rent. I do upgrade things while I raise rent over time and the tenants all appreciate it. I tell them all they can stay forever. But I’ll need to bring up rent due to my mortgage being much higher than the last owner. They all understand and most stay with me for many years. Keeping tenants happy with very low turnovers is my goal. I want them all to stay for a years/decades.
@John Morgan Thanks for sharing your insights! So good to know that you have bought so many properties that way and it is a situation that can be handled and maybe used as an advantage. I'll do more research on the tenants. However, I just found another thing that could be a red flag. It's the listing agent. He is, how do I put it, very rude ?... he don't pick up phones and when he eventually called me, he's super rude. He asks me how much I'm offering before they even let me see the house...I asked him why the seller is looking to sell this property. He responded that seller sells property that's just what they do. I'm even a bit intimidated by him, and will ask my husband to go with me in the tour. I don't know if other potential buyer would see this as a red flag too.
Rental Property Investor · Medford, OR · Member since 2017 · 94 posts · 115 votes
1y
What are you paying for the place? The cash flow appears to be really good with the existing tenants. Ask if the tenants have been timely with their rent payments and if there have been any issues with them, in general. I'd look at a profit and loss statement or anything they can provide that gives proof of timely payments, expenses on the property, etc. If the place cash flows really well, having a tenant in place on a rental property investment is a good thing! Tenants come and go but it's the property that you're investing in. And you're right, there's always risk involved, but more often than not, the risk is well worth it. Lastly, I'm a big advocate for self-managing for 2 reasons: 1.) you learn how to be a landlord to care for your property and no one cares about your property as much as you do and 2.) you will save on the property management fees that can be very costly, thus putting more money in your pocket. So if you live near the property, try manage it yourself. :) Best of luck!
is the agent's demeanor a red flag on the property? no. it's not good, it's not bad, it's not anything. it's irrelevant. what he says: irrelevant. he tries to talk you into buying it? irrelevant. he tries to talk you out of buying it? irrelevant. he wants an offer? of course he does. he wants to get an offer, close the sale, and move on. he's an NPC, and you're the player.
again, i don't know this market at all, but i remain highly, highly skeptical that you could buy it, 'easily' add rooms, and start netting $800-1000 a month.
the biggest red flag is this: no one else has bought it. they didn't buy it not to leave it for you: they didn't buy it because there's no opportunity there.
sorry if this comes off as discouraging, i'm just trying to protect you and your hard earned cash. generally deals that sit on the MLS are NOT opportunities except in RARE circumstances.
@Nicholas L. Thank you for the reply! I feel I should act more professional and does not let my feelings get ahead of numbers haha. I agree that if something looks too good to be true, it is....I will be extra careful when proceeding with the purchase.
Investor · Greenville, SC · Member since 2016 · 5k+ posts · 13k+ votes
1y
Every property I have purchased had existing residents.
I would not worry about the rude agent. That's actually a plus because it may turn other buyers off. The world is full of people who are angry for reasons we'll never know.
Richmond, VA · Member since 2019 · 358 posts · 181 votes
1y
Yes, that’s a great advantage—purchasing a tenant-occupied property with positive cash flow from day one can really work in your favor.
That said, make sure you take a close look at the lease terms, tenant payment history, and any maintenance issues that may come up. A good rent amount on paper is only part of the picture; you'll want to be confident the tenant is reliable and that the property has been well-maintained during their stay. Also, review the lease for any clauses that could complicate your future plans (like renewal rights or maintenance responsibilities).
Making a slightly lower offer to account for potential risks is a smart move, and having professional management lined up puts you in a good position to minimize day-to-day issues.
Real Estate Broker · DC MD, VA & NV · Member since 2014 · 512 posts · 292 votes
1y
Sounds like a terrific opportunity @Ying Tang! Just submit an offer 'subject to inspection'. I would encourage to work with a Realtor to ensure your risk is minimized... good luck!
Real Estate Broker · Northeast PA · Member since 2017 · 2k+ posts · 2k+ votes
1y
IDK, the cash flow sounds enticing. So proceed with caution.
I've done many deals with existing tenants, and here's part of my process:
Meet the tenants during the walk-through. If they are friendly, strike up a conversation. Then check your gut. Vibe? Take photos of the house, in/out, for your records.
On a separate visit, speak with the neighbors on both sides. I always hand them my business card and tell them I'm buying the house next door. Then I ask them to contact me if there is an issue or problem. Many times they will talk about the current tenants.
Read the lease like you're studying for a final exam.
Check with the police precinct that covers that neighborhood. Ask about the neighborhood, and if the officer is friendly, ask about any calls to that property. (I understand about privacy, but often one can pick up a lot of info from body language and what is NOT said in response to a question.)
Check with your local district court or l/t court--there should be info available online--that will show any court issues regarding the tenant/s. This is mission-critical. Also, check the local sex offender registry.
One last tip: ask the current owner/landlord or manager the following: "Would you rent to these tenants again?"
@Marc Winter Thanks for sharing your insights! These are very helpful and you definitely have good people skills! I'm a super shy person in real life that I doubt I can talk to police without first practicing for three days haha.
Real Estate Broker · Cape Coral, FL · Member since 2015 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
1y
We buy properties with existing tenants all of the time. The worse the rent, lease, or tenant, the worse the offer we present. Don't be shy to buy a property with an existing tenant but do your due diligence.
Investor · Regina, SK · Member since 2025 · 54 posts · 42 votes
1y
I've bought with existing tenants/lease agreements in place and had no issues. I won't put in an offer until I've seen the lease agreement and/or had some interaction with the tenant (casual but strategic short conversation with the tenant can go a long way). Can save you on the hassle of finding new tenants from day one.
@Chris Chisholm Thanks for the reply! I'll definitely talk to the tenants then. I somehow get the impression that the seller agent will ask tenant to stay in the car to minimize interaction (happened several times in my other tours). I'll talk to them in another trip if I have to.
@Chris Chisholm Thanks for the reply! I'll definitely talk to the tenants then. I somehow get the impression that the seller agent will ask tenant to stay in the car to minimize interaction (happened several times in my other tours). I'll talk to them in another trip if I have to.
Anything stopping you from hanging around after the tenant leaves and knock on the door? "Hey I forgot to ask the agent and he left...do you if **insert some random question about the furnace or something**?" as an ice breaker and then have some small talk with them if they are friendly about it.
Rental Property Investor · New Orleans, LA · Member since 2018 · 717 posts · 555 votes
1y
I have bought lots of tenant occupied properties. Just make sure you have seen the leade and understand if the tenant is current. It's a risk but if it's a great dwal pull the trigger.
New to Real Estate · TX · Member since 2025 · 4 posts · 1 vote
1y
We actually acquired a property with 4 doors in Texas and all four had tenants with rent lease just signed for renewal of course for a whole new year. We are half way there at 7 months of ownership. But come November new lease will be implemented with new rates due to honoring the sale. We shall see how it goes in November, might have some properties for lease. Just my thought Have a great one
New to Real Estate · TX · Member since 2025 · 4 posts · 1 vote
1y
We actually acquired a property with 4 doors in Texas and all four had tenants with rent lease just signed for renewal of course for a whole new year. We are half way there at 7 months of ownership. But come November new lease will be implemented with new rates due to honoring the sale. We shall see how it goes in November, might have some properties for lease. Just my thought Have a great one
Investor · Crown Point, IN · Member since 2014 · 177 posts · 84 votes
1y
Ask if the seller has pre move-in photos, if they don't note and take photos during your inspection. I've used the inspection to also take note of deferred maintenance that may also need to be addressed.
I've bought a few with existing leases in the past. I can't say I've ever had one destroy the apartment, but I have had to evict some in the past, and in a lot of cases this gives the oppertunity to improve the apartment and drive the rent a bit higher.