Opportunity to buy the only neighboring unit

Opportunity to buy the only neighboring unit

Member since 2019 · 30 posts · 8 votes

Hi all,

So my wife and I own a condo that is apart of a 20-plex and the way the building is structured we only have 1 neighboring unit that shares our stairwell. We are on the ground floor and everything about this rental property is operating smoothly. I found out earlier this week that the neighboring unit we are sharing the stairwell with is up for sale. We like the condo building and wouldn't mind having a second unit. Since you rarely get to pick your neighbors in real estate this seems like an opportunity to reduce the chances of having a bad stairwell neighbor in the future that could upset our existing tenants. 

How much value would you all put on locking down that unit for more long term control? The current asking price does not make sense as a rental. However, the seller is an investor, albeit, this is their only rental and they have a paid off primary residential. I get the impression that they did not like being a landlord. The previous tenants had a kid and I'm hoping to view the property in the next couple of days. It is not priced to sell so I'm hoping the owner may be open to creative financing options such as subject to. I'm not going to get a bad deal, but I'm wondering if anyone would pay a bit of premium for this situation. Does this even have value or is it all in my head? How awful can a neighbor really be in a condo community? 

0Reply
20 views

3 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Rental Property Investor · Somewhere over the Rainbow · Member since 2021 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    1y

    Condo would be ehhh - what's the value here? The unit itself. How's the location? 

    I tend to steer away from condos due to HOA fees/special assessments etc

    I would be interested in a neighboring unit if the zoning was right and there was room for expansion. I actually tried to buy a house next door - I would've overpaid for it too but the lady was stuck on selling to the current tenant. Plan would've been to build a duplex behind both houses since I would have had the yard and parking room. The value here being the ability to expand and increase cash flow/long term appreciation etc. Somewhat of a gentrifying area as well 

  • Alecia LovelessPro Member
    Member since 2019 · 3k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    1y

    @Isaac Passmore If this is your only rental I’m not sure I would want to put all my eggs in one basket by having 2 units in the same building.

    • Member since 2019 · 30 posts · 8 votes
      1y
      Quote from @Alecia Loveless:

      @Isaac Passmore If this is your only rental I’m not sure I would want to put all my eggs in one basket by having 2 units in the same building.

      This would be our third. The other is a SFH in a different county.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.