Check my math please? calculate cash on cash for a cash purchase

5 Replies

Hi All,

I've searched and cannot find much that pertains to this issue.

I just bought a very small house(cottage) for $25K in cash. I may try to refi/heloc/etc...etc...etc... in the future to get my money back out to re-invest.

I'm thinking that the cash on cash for something like this is:

normal cash-on-cash formula as it works with the numbers of the refinance

Then subtracting:

whatever return you would have on that cash(put in whichever investment you choose)--- for the amount of time the deal is using "cash"- and not bringing income to you.

Hard to explain- but does this seem correct? I'm not really worried about my return so far--- just interested in learning the math...

@Joel Owens - thanks. Is it really that easy? My rough numbers(NOT real numbers, only quick numbers) would be:

$6,000 per year / $25,000 cash purchase price = 24 % cash-on-cash???

I understand there are all the other factors that we use on these calculations--- but is that the jist of it?

@Mike D'Arrigo

Thanks for info- I'll look into refi very soon...

thanks guys!

@Mike D'Arrigo @Jim P. I'm not sure what the seasoning issue you're discussing is?

Delayed financing allows you to cash out between 0 and 6 months. It must have been a cash purchase and you can only take a maximum of 70% of purchase price (somewhere around there).

After 6 months you are no longer eligible for the DF, however Fannie guidelines only require 6 mo seasoning so you can then get a cash out refi using a new appraisal value at that point. I'm closing one tomorrow, 7 month on title using a new appraised value.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you