Permitting Delays Is This Becoming a Bigger Issue for Small Investors?

Permitting Delays Is This Becoming a Bigger Issue for Small Investors?

Virtual Assistant · U, S · Member since 2025 · 58 posts · 15 votes

Hey BP community,

Curious if others are running into more friction with permitting lately especially on small-to-mid-scale residential projects (ADUs, garage conversions, duplexes, remodels, etc.). In a few markets I’m familiar with, the timeline for approvals and revisions seems to be stretching out, even for basic scope.

Some of the investors I talk to are:

  • Waiting weeks just for initial plan checks

  • Getting redlined for small code items

  • Unsure when they actually need an architect vs a draftsman or GC to move forward

For those of you who’ve done a few deals or even just one how have you navigated the city process?
Are you:

  • Working with professionals upfront, or trying to DIY until they ask?

  • Reusing plans to save time/money?

  • Running into zoning issues or last-minute design changes?

Not trying to stir a rant thread just genuinely curious how others here are approaching it in 2025, especially with market shifts and tighter budgets.

Thanks for sharing your experience  I always learn a lot from the insights here.

 [Aisha]

0Reply
24 views

Most Popular Reply

Chris SeveneyBusiness Member
Moderator
Investor · VA · Member since 2015 · 21k+ posts · 19k+ votes
1y

This has always been a challenge, and from what I’ve seen and heard, California—especially areas like Los Angeles—continues to be one of the toughest. Bureaucracy doesn’t seem to be improving with time. In fact, it feels like more red tape keeps getting added under the guise of “safety” or “efficiency,” while in reality, it's just making housing less accessible and more expensive.

We’ve seen the same pattern across multiple markets: delays in plan checks, inconsistent communication from municipalities, and constant second-guessing on whether a job needs an architect, a draftsman, or a GC to move forward. It’s frustrating, particularly when you're working on housing that’s badly needed.

Personally, I’ve found that engaging the right professionals early—especially ones who already have experience with that specific municipality—can help minimize surprises. Reusing plans does save time, but only when the jurisdiction allows it without demanding a full re-review for minor tweaks.

The core issue remains: cities say they want more housing but continue to operate systems that actively discourage it. Appreciate you bringing this up—it's not just a 2025 problem, it's a long-standing one that still hasn’t been solved.

7e investments53 Reviews
See this reply in the discussion

5 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Member since 2025 · 7 posts · 3 votes
    1y

    Hi Aisha

    I am dealing with something similar but I don’t think it is permit delay it’s my contractors not being proactive and not communicated effectively. There have been things that come up where I am currently flipping ( just outside of Chicago) like needing architectural plans because I guess the size of the SOW but being delayed months is not normal. 

    • Virtual Assistant · U, S · Member since 2025 · 58 posts · 15 votes
      1y
      Quote from @Carmen Savolainen:

      Hi Aisha

      I am dealing with something similar but I don’t think it is permit delay it’s my contractors not being proactive and not communicated effectively. There have been things that come up where I am currently flipping ( just outside of Chicago) like needing architectural plans because I guess the size of the SOW but being delayed months is not normal. 

      Hi Carmen,
      Thanks for sharing  totally hear you on that. It's a tough spot when the delays aren't from the city but from contractors not staying on top of things or communicating early enough.

      In places like just outside Chicago (Cook County, etc.), once the scope of work hits a certain size  especially with structural, layout changes, or major systems  the city often flags it and asks for stamped architectural plans, even mid-process. That surprises a lot of people and adds unexpected delays, especially if the GC didn’t plan for it up front.

      It’s not always about the drawings being complex sometimes the city just wants liability on file (hence the stamp). Ideally, that gets sorted early, but I know how often it doesn’t in practice.

      Out of curiosity, did your GC already submit anything to the city without a stamp, or did they just stop when they realized you needed one?

      Happy to share what I’ve seen others do to get unstuck faster if that helps  this permitting stuff can really eat into a flip timeline if not caught early. 

  • Member since 2025 · 7 posts · 3 votes
    1y

    Hi Aisha

    This is great to hear an architects perspective not involved in the project. 

    I think one of the huge issues is the lack of communication and keeping me in the loop this what I’m currently go through with these contractors. (Among other things). 

    The architect sent the stamped plans to me and my contractor 6/6, they were submitted by the contractors to the city 6/7 and the city approved them 6/9-6/10. Now what is holding things up are the contractors insurance, electrical license and pluming license renewal which all expires in April from what the city told me. I found this out 6/9 when I called the city and immediately ready out to my contractors and told them they need to take care of this stat. 

    I truly was patient in the beginning and I understand there are things you can’t always control. As you mentioned in your original post delays and plan checks being different in 2025 I’m not sure how it was before or in other counties/cities but this doesn’t seem normal. 

    Any advice would be greatly appreciated. 

    • Virtual Assistant · U, S · Member since 2025 · 58 posts · 15 votes
      1y
      Quote from @Carmen Savolainen:

      Hi Aisha

      This is great to hear an architects perspective not involved in the project. 

      I think one of the huge issues is the lack of communication and keeping me in the loop this what I’m currently go through with these contractors. (Among other things). 

      The architect sent the stamped plans to me and my contractor 6/6, they were submitted by the contractors to the city 6/7 and the city approved them 6/9-6/10. Now what is holding things up are the contractors insurance, electrical license and pluming license renewal which all expires in April from what the city told me. I found this out 6/9 when I called the city and immediately ready out to my contractors and told them they need to take care of this stat. 

      I truly was patient in the beginning and I understand there are things you can’t always control. As you mentioned in your original post delays and plan checks being different in 2025 I’m not sure how it was before or in other counties/cities but this doesn’t seem normal. 

      Any advice would be greatly appreciated. 

      Thanks for the detailed update  and I really appreciate your openness.

      Wow… it actually sounds like you were on top of things  getting the stamped plans, staying in communication with the city, and chasing down issues. It’s frustrating when the holdup shifts from permits to contractor logistics like insurance or licenses. And unfortunately, cities won't move an inch without that paperwork being current.

      Your instincts were right to call the city directly  that’s often the fastest way to figure out the real holdup when contractors go quiet. Honestly, what you’re describing isn't totally uncommon in 2025, especially in cities tightening their rules. Still, it’s avoidable with the right team.

      If you ever want a second set of eyes on anything in the future  just from someone who's used to navigating city red tape  happy to take a quick look or share what I’ve seen work better in similar setups. No pressure at all.

      You’ve done a lot right here. Hopefully they get their documents in order quickly so you can move forward!

  • Chris SeveneyBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Investor · VA · Member since 2015 · 21k+ posts · 19k+ votes
    1y

    This has always been a challenge, and from what I’ve seen and heard, California—especially areas like Los Angeles—continues to be one of the toughest. Bureaucracy doesn’t seem to be improving with time. In fact, it feels like more red tape keeps getting added under the guise of “safety” or “efficiency,” while in reality, it's just making housing less accessible and more expensive.

    We’ve seen the same pattern across multiple markets: delays in plan checks, inconsistent communication from municipalities, and constant second-guessing on whether a job needs an architect, a draftsman, or a GC to move forward. It’s frustrating, particularly when you're working on housing that’s badly needed.

    Personally, I’ve found that engaging the right professionals early—especially ones who already have experience with that specific municipality—can help minimize surprises. Reusing plans does save time, but only when the jurisdiction allows it without demanding a full re-review for minor tweaks.

    The core issue remains: cities say they want more housing but continue to operate systems that actively discourage it. Appreciate you bringing this up—it's not just a 2025 problem, it's a long-standing one that still hasn’t been solved.

    7e investments53 Reviews
Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.