Hey BP community,
I've been hearing from a few investors lately especially those doing flips, ADUs, or larger remodels that getting complete construction plans ready for permits is becoming more of a hurdle in 2025.
Some cities are asking for full sets even on projects that used to get by with basic drawings or contractor sketches. It got me wondering:
Are you creating detailed plans from scratch every time?
Reusing plans from past projects (where possible)?
Or just working with GCs/designers and letting them handle the paperwork?
I’m in the design world myself, and I’ve seen both sides: some investors get through permits fast, while others get stuck because plans were too basic or missing code references.
What’s been working for you lately? Any cities that are easier/harder to work with on this?
Always appreciate the insights from this community thanks in advance!
I'm lucky, because plans is what I do. I just do my own. Not just because of permits, but I want to make sure the contractors know what they're supposed to be doing. I have seen a number of deals run into problems where the REI thinks the rehab is straight forward and either don't need permits, or do simple plans and are missing a lot of things like you mentioned above. Then, there's the inevitable lack of info for the contractors, which can lead to any number of problems, all "dominoing", one after the other.
I'm lucky, because plans is what I do. I just do my own. Not just because of permits, but I want to make sure the contractors know what they're supposed to be doing. I have seen a number of deals run into problems where the REI thinks the rehab is straight forward and either don't need permits, or do simple plans and are missing a lot of things like you mentioned above. Then, there's the inevitable lack of info for the contractors, which can lead to any number of problems, all "dominoing", one after the other.
I'm lucky, because plans is what I do. I just do my own. Not just because of permits, but I want to make sure the contractors know what they're supposed to be doing. I have seen a number of deals run into problems where the REI thinks the rehab is straight forward and either don't need permits, or do simple plans and are missing a lot of things like you mentioned above. Then, there's the inevitable lack of info for the contractors, which can lead to any number of problems, all "dominoing", one after the other.
I'm lucky, because plans is what I do. I just do my own. Not just because of permits, but I want to make sure the contractors know what they're supposed to be doing. I have seen a number of deals run into problems where the REI thinks the rehab is straight forward and either don't need permits, or do simple plans and are missing a lot of things like you mentioned above. Then, there's the inevitable lack of info for the contractors, which can lead to any number of problems, all "dominoing", one after the other.
Hey Joe,
Really well said. I’ve seen that same “domino effect” play out too especially when investors assume a rehab is straightforward and skip the detailed plans. It’s a smart move on your part to handle your own; clear direction for contractors makes a huge difference. I work with a lot of investors who run into these issues after things are already in motion, and by then it’s usually more stressful and expensive to fix. Definitely agree that solid plans up front save time, money, and a lot of confusion down the line.
Thanks for sharing great perspective!
On my last project I needed everything because of the loan so my architect and contractor took care of the everything, but I remember talking with my GC on how the city was asking for more and more on each project even the smaller ones.
On my last project I needed everything because of the loan so my architect and contractor took care of the everything, but I remember talking with my GC on how the city was asking for more and more on each project even the smaller ones.
Hey TJ,
Thanks for sharing your experience very relatable, especially with how cities are tightening their requirements.
I noticed you included your Gmail, so I sent you a quick follow-up there in case it’s helpful. Just wanted to continue the conversation more directly without cluttering the thread.
Wishing you continued success with your projects!
In my experience working in Southern California and across the US for years the size of a project rarely dictates the required construction drawings for city approval. Even the smallest ADU projects typically need a complete set of basic construction drawings to get a building permit. While the approval process can vary according to scale and scope, the essential drawings often remain the same.
I think one of the biggest mistakes investors make is trying to bypass the design process or viewing plans as a mere formality. Cutting corners might save a few dollars upfront, but it almost always leads to significant costs and delays during review, construction, or inspection. I prefer to partner with investors who understand that good design sells and is a crucial investment that ultimately pays dividends.
As the saying goes, "Fail to plan, plan to fail."
In my experience working in Southern California and across the US for years the size of a project rarely dictates the required construction drawings for city approval. Even the smallest ADU projects typically need a complete set of basic construction drawings to get a building permit. While the approval process can vary according to scale and scope, the essential drawings often remain the same.
I think one of the biggest mistakes investors make is trying to bypass the design process or viewing plans as a mere formality. Cutting corners might save a few dollars upfront, but it almost always leads to significant costs and delays during review, construction, or inspection. I prefer to partner with investors who understand that good design sells and is a crucial investment that ultimately pays dividends.
As the saying goes, "Fail to plan, plan to fail."
I completely agree with your point cutting corners on design always leads to costly issues. I work with investors and developers across the U.S. providing full permit-ready architectural drawings and stamped plans for ADUs, additions, and new construction. If you're looking for a design partner who understands the permit process and helps streamline approvals, I’d love to connect."
My last large project (i have done 3 smaller ones since the large on that finished a year ago) I had approved plans for the work that required permits, but the inspector had his own thoughts on what was required. He was inconsistent in being a pain in the a$$ and letting stuff go.
I was putting in a flush beam due to the removal of a load bearing wall. The approved plans called for a significant sheer wall but nothing in the attic space. The inspector required the wall to extend through the attic to the sub roof (basically to the shingles). Note the load bearing wall did not go through the attic space
I was adding an eyebrow porch (there had been one originally but long ago (the house is over 100 years old) had been removed). The approved plans called for significant cement column foundations on either side of the door, but the inspector wanted a sheer wall to go between the column foundations under the door. He also required a slightly expensive test of existing cement because anchors were going into it (I found this request reasonable but the cement verifier made bank, he was there less than 30 minutes and it was $400).
This was a little unit with an expensive rehab. The same inspector required me to install integrated wired fire alarms such as when one goes off they all go off even though I had no permit related to anything with fire alarms (unless you count removing a wood burning fireplace). Note this unit is ~600’ and if any alarm goes off, it will be heard throughout the unit. But now 3 go off at the same time (both bedrooms and the common room). I was not planning on changing the fire alarms to wired, powered fire alarms. Fairly minor cost/effort, but not necessary.
Same inspectors required me to add a double ground at the unit even though there was a double ground at the drop. A different inspector came for this final inspection of this work and asked why I did it as it was unnecessary (which was my belief also but codes are constantly changing so I was not going to argue over this). I indicated the other inspector required it. He was not surprised.
My issue with the inspectors is that I do not believe they are nearly as qualified as the architect I used to create the plans or the city engineer that approved the plans. The inspectors arbitrarily increase the requirements after plan approval. Note I am not stating that either of these inspector required structural requirements did not further strengthen the structure . What I do claim is they were more than what was required and added to the cost. I went way over budget on this rehab; my most over budget ever (I was expecting less than $70k and I spent over $100k for various reasons) and I have enough experience that I should not be significantly busting budget. These inspector items just added to my over budget.
Enough rant on inspectors
Different project and rant on permit process. I opened 2 permits (which I probably should have separated out better). One was to permit some electrical and mini split condenser that was done without a permit and a gas run that city claimed was done without a permit but I suspect pre-dated need for a gas permit and the other was for a large patio structure. Patio structure went fairly smooth. The other permit I submitted a plan for each of electrical, gas, and condenser. I got back comment submit a plan. I did not understand the comment. Talked with someone who indicated that they did not like that it was 3 files and indicated what if someone submitted a hundred files. I pointed it out it was not a hundred files but 3. I appended the files together. This really is a case of tribal knowledge and the value of using contractors familiar with the local permitting idiosyncrasies. Then I got complains because I used pictures of the existing work to clarify the plan. They inquired about it and I indicated the text of the plan states it is to get unpermitted existing work permitted. They told me to remove the photos and let the plan describe the work without photos. Doing as requested would be more effort than using pictures. I asked why I could not use existing pictures and literally got no reason. more tribal knowledge. So I removed the photos and the reference in the plans to the photos. Next was HER issues. I found this so frustrating that I stopped working the approval process for multiple months. I finally got someone at or near the top of the planning and permit department to take pity on me and open the permit without satisfying all the current HER requirements. Whole process was 11 months with me not working it for a few of those months (due to frustration and I have a fair amount of experience). So active working it maybe 7 or 8 months. Crazy for such a little permit. You would think I was building a new building; likely would have been less frustrating.
Good luck
Hi Dan,
I read your BiggerPockets post really appreciate your transparency. I’m an architect who works with investors like you to create permit-ready plans and navigate inspector surprises. If you ever want a second set of eyes on future projects or just someone who knows how to speak "inspector," happy to connect.
Here is the order of appearance for details on the drawings, in reverse order:
3 - Inspector. They need the least amount of info, but their needs are very specific.
2 - Home owner. They need more info than the inspector because they need to see what they will get in the finished product.
1 - Contractors. They need the most amount of details on the drawings. They need everything the Inspector and home owner needs, and more. They need to understand how to build it. Can the contractors build without drawings, yes...and the result will be total chaos.
@Joe Villeneuve is 100% correct on this 😂 total chaos.
@Joe Villeneuve is 100% correct on this 😂 total chaos.