Remove or leave a wheelchair/ senior accessible bathtub?

Remove or leave a wheelchair/ senior accessible bathtub?

Carlos LiconPro Member
Albuquerque · Member since 2017 · 14 posts · 3 votes

Hello BP Community,

I would like to bounce some ideas and get some input regarding whether I should: Remove or leave a wheelchair/ senior accessible bathtub?

Background: This house will be a rental property. The house has two restrooms, a normal walk-in shower in the master, and this tub in the main bathroom that everyone would be using.

So I’m debating if it’s worth it to pay the money to remove it & replace it with a normal walk-in shower because it would be more convenient for potential tenants. Or if I leave it and let it be a preference for the renters.

I understand it could attract potential seniors or renters in wheelchairs who could use it. But I also understand that most people wouldn’t like it. So I would appreciate any feedback on the topic!

0Reply
42 views

2 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Carlos LiconPro Member
    OP
    Albuquerque · Member since 2017 · 14 posts · 3 votes
    1y
  • Eric FernwoodBusiness Member
    Realtor · Las Vegas, NV · Member since 2014 · 993 posts · 1k+ votes
    1y

    Hello @Carlos Licon,

    It really depends on the demographic you are targeting. If your main audience is senior citizens, a walk-in tub can be a selling point. In our case, we focus on families with elementary school children, which is why we’ve been removing them.

    Another issue is that of the eight or ten walk-in tubs we’ve replaced, most had leaks. That often meant repairing flooring in addition to replacing the tub.

    So, if a walk-in tub makes your property more attractive to your target market, keep it. If not, it’s better to remove it.

    FERNWOOD Team, KW VIP Realty520 Reviews
Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.