I'm looking to purchase my first real estate property (2-4 unit multifamily) in CT. Besides cash flow and equity (buy and hold strategy), will this investment strategy help my tax burden from my current W2 job?
I work a per diem gig in healthcare (W2) and I have been leaking quite a bit in taxes. I learned real estate investing could offer some ways to lower my tax burden; yet to discuss the details with my CPA. Before I commit to buying my first property this year - perhaps in haste for the tax purposes - I want to gauge how much one could leverage multi-family properties in my situation vs. other real estate investments (e.g. STR, commercial REs).
I would welcome any tips on questions to explore with my CPA while I consider these options.
George, multifamily properties can help reduce your W2 tax burden through deductions like mortgage interest, property taxes, depreciation, and operating expenses. I invest in the Midwest and have seen how properly structured multifamily deals can generate both cashflow and tax benefits. Short-term rentals and commercial properties have different tax profiles, so discuss with your CPA how each option affects taxable income. Ask about depreciation schedules, passive loss rules, and balancing cashflow versus tax advantages.
Accountant · Chicago, IL · Member since 2018 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
1y
It depends How much you make. If you make over $150k, you will not be able to use real estate losses against active income unless you're a real estate professional or short term rentals. If you make over $150k, the losses will be rolled forward to the following year until you have passive income or sell the property.
CPA, CFP®, PFS · FL · Member since 2017 · 5k+ posts · 3k+ votes
1y
@George Agyapong If you’re working W-2 in healthcare and considering a 2–4 unit multifamily property, the key thing to know is that rental real estate is usually treated as passive income for tax purposes, while your W-2 is active income. That means rental losses (from depreciation, mortgage interest, repairs, etc.) typically can’t offset your W-2 wages unless you qualify for specific exceptions. This makes it important to carefully weigh whether a multifamily, short-term rental, or commercial property aligns with your immediate tax goals.
Key considerations:
Passive losses from rentals can only offset other passive income, unless:
You qualify for the $25,000 passive loss allowance (phased out after $150K AGI).
If you (or, if married, your spouse) qualify, then rental real estate losses can offset W-2 income. Without REPS, those losses are usually trapped as passive.
You invest in a Short-Term Rental (STR) and materially participate, making it non-passive even without REPS.
Multifamily (2–4 units): Great for long-term cash flow and equity but offers limited W-2 tax relief unless REPS applies.
Short-Term Rentals: Strongest W-2 offset opportunity if managed actively, though more operationally intensive.
Commercial Real Estate: Larger depreciation and cost segregation benefits but still generally passive without REPS.
Cost Segregation Studies: Can create large paper losses upfront, but those benefits are often suspended unless REPS or STR status unlocks them.
A small multifamily is a great wealth-building vehicle and may help you shelter some rental income from taxes, but it won't do much to reduce your W-2 burden unless you or your spouse can meet REPS requirements. If immediate tax reduction is a priority, a short-term rental (where material participation makes the activity non-passive) often gives stronger leverage. The best next step is to sit with your CPA and model scenarios side by side comparing multifamily, STR, and commercial to see not just the cash flow, but also how each plays into your W-2 tax situation.
This post does not create a CPA-Client relationship. The information contained in this post is not to be relied upon. Readers should seek professional advice.
Accountant · New York, NY · Member since 2015 · 8k+ posts · 3k+ votes
1y
If this is your first investment, I would suggest making it moreso about learning and something you see long-term instead of from a tax perspective.
I would value making a good investment where you do multiple deals in the future over something that you make a lot of money because of a large tax refund but it was so draining to you that slow down your investing or get turned off entirely.
This is what I am seeing happen with a lot of people who got into STR's for the tax benefits. They brought one, got so tired with the furnishing, managing, tenant reviews, etc that they stopped real estate investing entirely or didn't get anothe deal for many years after.