How do you track your REP hours? Thinking of building a tool.

How do you track your REP hours? Thinking of building a tool.

Member since 2025 · 4 posts · 6 votes

Hey everyone,

This is my first year seriously trying to qualify for Real Estate Professional (REP) status and I’m realizing how tedious it is to log hours. I’ve been experimenting with spreadsheets, but it already feels like a headache keeping everything organized by property, activity type, mileage, etc.

I’m curious:

  • What methods are you currently using to log REP hours (if you qualify or are trying to)?

  • Is it just Excel/Google Sheets, a time-tracking app, or something else?

  • What’s the most annoying part of this process for you? (forgetting to log, categorizing activities, proof for audit, etc.)

I’m even considering building a dedicated software/app that makes this easier.

Before I dive into it, I’d love to know if there's a real demand and what features would be must-have vs. nice-to-have?

Appreciate any insights. Thanks!

0Reply
156 views

Most Popular Reply

Greg ScottPro Member
Rental Property Investor · SE Michigan · Member since 2014 · 4k+ posts · 6k+ votes
1y

The IRS does not require you to organize your log by property, activity type, mileage, etc.  The only requirement is that it be Material Participation and you have to record the time.  That is two fields 1) A description and 2) Amount of time.   Example:

Repaired leaky toilet at 123 Main Street. Hours include drive time:                    2.5 hours

Filled out insurance application for 123 Maple Street and discussed with broker:   1 hour

A lined sheet of paper could accomplish this.  If you want to have an electronic form, iphone's Notes or Google Sheet would do.

See this reply in the discussion

7 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Greg ScottPro Member
    Rental Property Investor · SE Michigan · Member since 2014 · 4k+ posts · 6k+ votes
    1y

    The IRS does not require you to organize your log by property, activity type, mileage, etc.  The only requirement is that it be Material Participation and you have to record the time.  That is two fields 1) A description and 2) Amount of time.   Example:

    Repaired leaky toilet at 123 Main Street. Hours include drive time:                    2.5 hours

    Filled out insurance application for 123 Maple Street and discussed with broker:   1 hour

    A lined sheet of paper could accomplish this.  If you want to have an electronic form, iphone's Notes or Google Sheet would do.

  • Member since 2025 · 4 posts · 6 votes
    1y

    Ahh is it that simple? Thank you that saved my headache!

  • Rental Property Investor · San Antonio, TX · Member since 2016 · 66 posts · 10 votes
    11mo

    Hey Jihea, there's already a few tools on the market place that do this. If you'd like recommendations, happy to DM you. 

    You can also just use a Google sheet tracker, which I've created a template for if you'd like a copy. Just let me know. 

    • Member since 2025 · 126 posts · 45 votes
      8mo
      Quote from @Edgar Estrada:

      Hey Jihea, there's already a few tools on the market place that do this. If you'd like recommendations, happy to DM you. 

      You can also just use a Google sheet tracker, which I've created a template for if you'd like a copy. Just let me know. 


      I would love a copy of your sheet and what tools are available in the market . Thanks

  • Rental Property Investor · San Antonio, TX · Member since 2016 · 66 posts · 10 votes
    8mo

    Hey @Maya Jones of course! I'll send you a DM. 

  • Member since 2026 · 8 posts · 0 votes
    7mo

    I do use an App to track all my activity, helps me with analysis at the end of the year. I think it works better than a spreadsheet (just my personal opinion)

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.