USF Single Family Student Rental… Good Or Bad Idea?

USF Single Family Student Rental… Good Or Bad Idea?

Member since 2025 · 2 posts · 1 vote

     I am considering buying a 3-4 bed, 2-4 bath single family home rental near the University Of South Florida in cash if I can find a deal where the numbers make sense. I am thinking about make it a student rental then live in one room while renting out the rest. 

It seems like most of the living options on campus you would be with roommates anyways but i'm not sure if this is something there would be demand for. I am attracted to the higher possible ROI and can do majority of the cleaning and maintenance/repairs myself so I don't mind the higher turnover. Only thing I am worried about is the possible higher vacancy rate as i'm not sure if this is something that's common especially at USF. I am a 22 year old man so i'm not sure what type of effect this will have on trying to find renters.

     Does anyone with experience with college rentals or any similar type of rental have any insight on whether there is high demand for this type of housing at USF? Also if you have any valuable knowledge on the topic i’d appreciate any advice.

1Reply
64 views

4 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Arman AhmedPro Member
    Real Estate Agent · Columbus Cleveland Dayton, OH · Member since 2024 · 2k+ posts · 921 votes
    11mo

    @Josh Scurlock

    Josh, sounds like you’re thinking it through the right way. Student rentals can definitely cash flow stronger than traditional long-term rentals if managed well, but they also come with more turnover and wear-and-tear, like you mentioned. The demand around most big universities is usually steady since students are always cycling in and out, but vacancy risk comes if your place isn’t lined up before the semester starts. The key is really in location (close to campus and public transport), setting clear lease terms, and sometimes even renting by the room instead of one lease for the whole house. I invest in the Midwest, and while it’s not USF, the student rental model works similarly—you just need systems in place. If you’re willing to stay in one of the rooms yourself and keep up with maintenance, that can give you a big edge.

  • Frankie VozziBusiness Member
    Member since 2025 · 335 posts · 82 votes
    11mo

    Great question, Josh! student rentals can definitely be profitable around USF. Demand tends to stay strong as long as you’re close enough to campus and price competitively, especially if utilities and Wi-Fi are included. Living in one room and renting the others is a common “house hack” strategy, and it helps cover costs.

    Biggest things to watch: making sure leases align with the academic calendar, screening tenants carefully, and setting aside reserves for turnover costs.  I can share some lending/financing options that work well for these kinds of properties I sent you a DM, let's connect!

  • Will GastonPro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Columbia, SC · Member since 2010 · 1k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    11mo
    Quote from @Josh Scurlock:

         I am considering buying a 3-4 bed, 2-4 bath single family home rental near the University Of South Florida in cash if I can find a deal where the numbers make sense. I am thinking about make it a student rental then live in one room while renting out the rest. 

    It seems like most of the living options on campus you would be with roommates anyways but i'm not sure if this is something there would be demand for. I am attracted to the higher possible ROI and can do majority of the cleaning and maintenance/repairs myself so I don't mind the higher turnover. Only thing I am worried about is the possible higher vacancy rate as i'm not sure if this is something that's common especially at USF. I am a 22 year old man so i'm not sure what type of effect this will have on trying to find renters.

         Does anyone with experience with college rentals or any similar type of rental have any insight on whether there is high demand for this type of housing at USF? Also if you have any valuable knowledge on the topic i’d appreciate any advice.


     Josh this thread might be helpful: Nearing 1,000 College Tenants - Here's What I've Learned

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.