WHO has helped you on BiggerPockets?

WHO has helped you on BiggerPockets?

Brandon TurnerPro Member
Investor · Maui, HI · Member since 2009 · 13k+ posts · 3k+ votes

Name something you've learned from someone on BiggerPockets (podcast, forums, blog, whatever) and tag the person from whom you learned it. Name as many people as you want, but please limit your posts to one-person-per-post.

1Reply
379 views

Most Popular Reply

Rental Property Investor · Phoenix/Lima, Arizona/OH · Member since 2012 · 4k+ posts · 4k+ votes
12y

This is a great thread!

@Joshua D. - thank you!

@Brandon Turner - I love you!

@Serge S. - I can't quite define how I feel about you, but I had to mention..:)

@Bill Gulley - I've gained so much insight from you and resect for you...

But the prize goes to...@Brian Burke - thank you indeed Brian!

See this reply in the discussion

226 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Jean BolgerPro Member
    Aurora, CO · Member since 2012 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    12y

    @Ben Leybovich talked me out of buying a marginal deal (did you know that, Ben?) and helped me maximize my return on a 1031 exchange by holding out for something better.

  • Jean BolgerPro Member
    Aurora, CO · Member since 2012 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    12y

    @Giovanni Isaksen 's posts have helped me learn to think bigger (and smarter).

  • Jean BolgerPro Member
    Aurora, CO · Member since 2012 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    12y

    and of course @Joel Owens . I have such a bigger picture of real estate than I did a year ago, and I can't even separate out how much of it was absorbed from Joel's posts.

  • Investor · Bellingham, WA · Member since 2010 · 308 posts · 230 votes
    12y

    Thanks @Jean Bolger for your kind words. BP is a great opportunity to share and learn with people who not only get it but have been there, done that and are still doing it. Thanks @Brandon Turner and @Joshua Dorkin for making the whole thing happen.

    So many other people to thank for sharing their experience and accumulated wisdom. I want to specifically mention @Bill Gulley but there are dozens more with institutional experience that help us learn what the 'big guys' are doing and that is powerful.

    There's nothing new in the world but the history you don't know said Harry Truman and the depth of knowledge here on BP would take many lifetimes to acquire on our own.

  • Denver, CO · Member since 2012 · 350 posts · 175 votes
    12y

    I have to thank @Joshua D. for the persistence and passion to put it all together.

    I have to thank @Brandon Turner for epic singing skills and his blogging expertise.

    For showing how its done: @Bill Gulley @Karen Margrave @Bryan Hancock

    For expanding my horizons: @Brian Gibbons @Ben Leybovich

  • Investor · Sherman Oaks, CA · Member since 2008 · 6k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    12y

    Wow, finally to give Kudos to the irreplaceable folks here!

    @Joshua D. and @Brandon Turner "the Matrix Juice" of BP Nation.

    @Bill Gulley who is the "BP Godfather" and "irascible regulator" that always learn from

    @Bryan Hancock for syndications

    @Ben Leybovich my good friend that hates my seller financing but I love his multi space and soon to be teacher of syndications.

    more to come....

    .

  • Financial Advisor · Lexington, KY · Member since 2012 · 150 posts · 66 votes
    12y

    Had lunch with @Mark Ainley yesterday. Thanks again for your insight, Mark. Look forward to keeping in touch. Cheers!

  • Brandon TurnerPro Member
    OP
    Investor · Maui, HI · Member since 2009 · 13k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    12y

    I'll add a few more:

    @Joshua D. of course gets my gratitude, not only for building the site almost 10 years ago, but also for bringing me onboard and teaching me how to blog, edit, market, interview, and pretty much everything else I do on the site.

  • Investor · Sherman Oaks, CA · Member since 2008 · 6k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    12y

    @Bill Walston

    @Bill Walston for small bus tax and Dodd Frank

    @Steven Hamilton II for Tax and understanding the IRS

    @K. Marie Poe undefined for her thoughtful posts on fixing title issues

    @John Jackson for Texas Lease Options and all things Texas

    @Rick Harmon for So Cal Probate and being an entrepreneur

    @Douglas Dowell undefined for his friendship and legal mind

  • Brandon TurnerPro Member
    OP
    Investor · Maui, HI · Member since 2009 · 13k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    12y

    @Ben Leybovich taught me how to build real solid friendships though never meeting in person. He probably doesn't know this yet, but I learned how to reach out and build true relationships because of him reaching out to me early on in our friendship.

    I'll add this... Ben also taught me that real estate is about more than numbers. It's about putting those numbers into perspective. Though, I still think his perspective is wrong on Waldo! (though... I am evicting the tenant right now! But I will not admit defeat!)

  • Brandon TurnerPro Member
    OP
    Investor · Maui, HI · Member since 2009 · 13k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    12y

    @Ken McElroy taught me how to buy apartment buildings, years ago, through his books. Thanks Ken!

  • Brandon TurnerPro Member
    OP
    Investor · Maui, HI · Member since 2009 · 13k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    12y

    @Amanda Han taught me that getting a CPA who understands real estate is VITALLY important, from the start.

  • Brandon TurnerPro Member
    OP
    Investor · Maui, HI · Member since 2009 · 13k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    12y

    @Darren Sager taught me about Shake Shack in NYC. Best burger ever. And he taught me a lot of lessons about empowering tenants to pay their own bills :)

  • Brandon TurnerPro Member
    OP
    Investor · Maui, HI · Member since 2009 · 13k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    12y

    @Anson Young taught me about the Short Sale Time Machine... which I'm currently riding right now :)

  • Brandon TurnerPro Member
    OP
    Investor · Maui, HI · Member since 2009 · 13k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    12y

    @Chris Clothier taught me that real estate investing is a business and the most successful investors are those who treat their business like a business. Not only has he written numerous articles on the subject and spoke at length on the podcast about it - but he lives it every day in his own real estate company.

  • Rental Property Investor · Phoenix/Lima, Arizona/OH · Member since 2012 · 4k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    12y

    @Brandon Turner - I feel the same way! I love BiggerPockets and it has much less to do with Real Estate, and much more to do with people...AMAZING!

    Having said that, would you please allready get off that roof and get on the freaking plain and come visit. I am going to be calling Heather and putting the biggest guilt trip on her - I'm serious!

    @Jean Bolger no, I did not know this. But now that you mention it, I know exactly what you are talking about :) Glad I could be of use to you!

    @Douglas Dowell I left you off of my original post, and that was stupid. Thank you Doug!

    @Brian Gibbons is it my fault that I am not smart enough to play the game the way you do...? I respect the game enough to set boundaries - what you do is amazing stuff, but way over the head of a dumb landlord such as yours truly...

  • Investor · North Richland Hills, TX · Member since 2011 · 789 posts · 403 votes
    12y

    @Brandon Turner HOLY CRAP!!! are you serious?!?!?!

    In 48 hours we are on page 4?!??!

    What a great question though!!!!

    I'd say @Bill Walston when it comes to tax stuff which I suck at and really hate...

    @Bill Gulley for sharing his insight and experience and making me realize that I too can write an entire book on any random post on a RE website.... :) HA!

    @Brandon Turner for realizing that he is an editor but that doesn't mean he (you) don't have to know every single answer and are willing to reach out for input. That is key Brandon.

    @Misty W. had a big impact because she knows her stuff, can relate it in English and that fact that I helped or have helped her over time to learn the trade makes it all worth while.

    @Brian Gibbons because he got me into this whole freaking mess about 12 years ago......wheeeeee.....

    @Michael Carbonare because he took what Brian taught me and made it easy so an idiot could get it.

  • Real estate investor · Las Vegas · Member since 2013 · 798 posts · 171 votes
    12y

    Cant believe I forgot @Steven Hamilton II his questions to ask on finding a good CPA were great.

  • San Diego, CA · Member since 2014 · 31 posts · 7 votes
    12y

    @Patrick Hayes for spending some time with me, providing validation that I can do this, and affirming that I was not off my rocker.

  • Developer · Garland, TX · Member since 2008 · 8k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    12y
    Originally posted by @Jarrett Harris:
    @Jon Holdman and @Bill Gulley
    They have really helped me, especially Bill. I have learned a lot about commercial real estate from Bill.

    I think of @Jon Holdman and @Bill Gulley as cornerstones to the community. Solid knowledge, generously shared, without the hype.

  • Developer · Garland, TX · Member since 2008 · 8k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    12y

    @Jerry Puckett for working with me over the years to make sure my marketing was on target and delivered big ROI.

  • Investor · Sherman Oaks, CA · Member since 2008 · 6k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    12y

    Finding Motivated Sellers

    @Jerry Puckett

    @Michael Quarles

    @Dev Horn

    Motivated Seller Marketing is one of the keys to REI Success, without these guys it would be much harder.

  • Developer · Garland, TX · Member since 2008 · 8k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    12y
  • Developer · Garland, TX · Member since 2008 · 8k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    12y

    @Joshua D. Instead of setting up BP to be his vehicle to get to the 4 hour work week, Josh strives to do all he can to make it better. I understand he gives it everything to make it great and benefit all the members. In the past 5 years I've leaped forward in my REI, largely because of Josh's BiggerPockets.

  • Jerry PuckettPro Member
    Wholesaler · Fort Worth, TX · Member since 2010 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    12y

    Oh My Goodness, so many to thank who have helped me big time over the years. But I want to start with the one who started it all,

    @Joshua D. without Bigger Pockets, I'd have no success stories, no deals, no business. Thank you Sir!!

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.