2% Rule in Chicago?

11 Replies

I am VERY late to the game on this one, but does the 2% rule actually work in Chicago in A and B neighborhoods?? If I understand correctly, a $300k property should rent for $6,000/month? This sounds like high rent for even somewhere like NYC (where the purchase price would be $1.4M!!) What am I missing?

I don't think 2% ever works in any great or good neighbors. You can get 2% on the south side. You can buy 2 bed/1 bath condos for 40-50K and get 800-900 in rent.

That makes sense @Adam Christopher . I'd love to get $6,000 in rent for a condo that I own, but I think I'd give my tenants a heart attack!

After spending time with @Dawn Anastasi :

--------------------------------------------------------

I know for a fact it works in Wisconsin.

I would go through her threads just to get a

better understanding of 2% or 3% rule.

Take the knowledge and try it in your neck of the woods.

2% Rule, is more of a guideline.

And it's true that you can't meet it everywhere.

1% is common in some areas and 3% is common in different areas.

Are you willing to travel some?

In Chicago for A/B I am seeing about 1.3% give or take

In the West Loop, many properties don't even seem to reach 1% (which I'd consider a B, almost an A). Much of the core has been converted to it's highest and best use. One condo we own and are renting is getting .6%, where the market could probably justify a .65-.7% rate. They're dream tenants though so we haven't increased their rent yet for their 2nd year lease.

Oak Park, IL is at least a B. Total Cost includes repairs of an SFH I aquired in 2011 in a foreclosure auction was 160000, Current monthly rent 2300 is definately more than 1%. But if aquired at today's prices at 300000 plus as it appraised for 275000 in May 2013 when I got a loan on it, this monthly rent will be less than 1%.
Acquired a estate sale townhome this month for 119000 in Oak Park near transit in an estate sale, will rent easily for 1500 after some cosmetic work and painting (3000-4000 tops)which is again more than 1%. However majority of properties in this area bought at retail price will be at a less than 1%

The 2% rule definitely doesn't work in Chicago (or many other major metros).

For some areas, the Section 8 cap rate is usually a good guideline to follow. It is tough to get more because there isn't a great market rate tenant base. Depending on the home and the area, this might be at or slightly above 1%. We rent just over 200 homes, most of which are on the south side, and they all rent around 1% of the ARV give or take.

For those A and B areas you're lucky if you can get 1%. Unfortunately, you're stuck with what the market will support and trying to price it at 2% is unrealistic.

Thank you @Atul Mohlajee and @Josh Sexton ! Now I don't feel quite as crazy as yesterday. I read that rule and wondered if there was something I was missing or doing wrong. The rent just didn't follow the pattern for the West Loop neighborhood. I do agree that I'm sure in the B & C neighborhoods where you can get property at better prices then 1-2% is achievable. I'm still navigating the limitless potential that lies South of the Eisenhower, but I'm sure there are many areas where this rule would make sense.

West side of Chicago but I wouldn't go there in the Austin neighborhood. Even Chicago Police is afraid to be placed in that neighborhood.

Haha, thanks @Atul Mohlajee ! I had initially started thinking I need to focus on West Garfield Park! There's so much inventory and you can get properties for a steal!! But then I realized how high the crime is on most of the streets.

I drove through several blocks and there are just endless boarded up units. Great to purchase, but difficult to rent or resell. I researched a few units through the county code violations website and found so many citations for poor conditions, dangerous construction issues, and unpermitted work that it just didn't make sense...yet.

For a new investor, I thought I found a gold mine!! For experienced investors, you know to focus on other areas for now. Thanks for the head up and tip on Austin!!

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here