Finding the right property for the right tenant

1 Reply

Hello All!

I am still looking for my first rental and one thing keeps bothering me.

I'd like to rent to A-class tenants who would pay a premium for a better property (granite counter tops, hardwood floors, etc.). I may settle for B+ but I would not go any lower.

For this type of tenant I need an A-B+ class property but these properties are overpriced and the rents for them are not high enough to produce good cashflow.

If I move to B-,C territory, I can buy some cheap properties but they would still be cheap after rehab and attract only low quality tenants.

So, my requirements contradict each other. How do I solve it? Do low price but high quality properties that can attract a high quality tenant exist?

Thanks
Nick

@Nick B.  This is how I see it

A Property/neighborhood = Enough rent to cover expenses but very little cash flow.  Property value will have good increases and you would gain equity by appreciation

B Property/neighborhood = Decent cash flow at or slightly above the 1% rule and moderate appreciation over time

C Property/neighborhood = Good cash flow close to the 2% rule - except to sell the property for what you paid for it.  

Personally, I go for the granite / SS / Condo quality in the B neighborhoods 

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here