Possible to Achieve 2% Rule in Tampa Area - Buy and Hold?

5 Replies

I am looking for a buy and hold - either 3 bd or 2 bd SFR in Tampa. As I screen these properties by researching the rents on rentometer and padmapper, I find it is getting harder and harder to find a property close to the 2% rule. I am hoping someone can tell me what I am I missing. For example, if I find a 55K house, should I expect to put a significant amount of rehab? Or perhaps I should settle that if I purchase a house a house for 70k with little rehab then not expect 2%. I have been looking in different areas of Tampa and even looking in Brandon. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I just need to understand if I need to adjust my screening process and expectations.

Thanks for the help.

Lakeisha

Your particular financing has a lot to do with it. I'm finding that 1% properties won't work if you assume the 50% rule on expenses and want to cash flow $100-$150/unit (after debt service). It's best to quickly run the numbers using your interest rate and terms rather then looking only at the rent ratio.

For example, with a 4.875% interest rate on a 30 year loan, I'm finding that I need at least a 1.2%-1.25% rent ratio for the numbers to start looking good. Once you know how your particular financing situation effects cash on cash return, and cash flow, then you'll know what rent ratio works for you.

They are just rules of thumb, Lakeisha. I use 1% as a first screen. Every area is going to be different, though. i.e. Property tax rates are considerably lower in Sarasota Co than Hillsborough. You have to run the numbers....

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here