searching for good/bad school districts

6 Replies

Hey guys

Was wondering the most efficient way to find out how the schools are in a particular neighborhood. Any good sites people like to use?

Thanks in advance!

There are several good sites, but IMO the best info is word of mouth as school rep is much more important than school rank.

@Brandon Hardy   I have used http://www.greatschools.org/ they have a search feature where you enter the zipcode of the property you are evaluating and it gives you a list of school and their rating on a 1-10 scale.

In urban areas there is usually a monthly city magazine. It is typical for this type of magazine to have a school rankings issue once a year. 

In the areas in which I have lived, the average household income within the school district can generally be used as a proxy for how good the school district is. So for example if school district A consists of the two wealthiest suburbs in the area, I can pretty much guarantee that the school district will have an elite reputation.

Thanks, all good tips. I appreciate the advice.

@Brandon Hardy  In Atlanta, you also need to double check the local school board like Atlanta Public Schools, to make sure you know for sure what the school is for your particular location.   School assignment can have a huge effect on value in the City of Atlanta and school assignments can vary block by block in some cases.

Rick

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here