Where would you invest?

16 Replies

So I'm currently going into my senior year of college, and after I graduate I'm open to moving most anywhere.  One important aspect for me is that it is an area that has a profitable market for real estate as I want to begin investing.  So my question for everyone is if you could invest anywhere, where would it be and why?

Thanks in advance!

Well that is way to broad of a question lol. But I would tell you if you are just starting out to find an area that is within your financial range. It does you no good to be motivated and not be able to come up with the high down payment some areas require. i.e. California a duplex can be as high as 500,000 while in "war zones" such as very low income areas with high crime rates a duplex can go as low as 30,000. I can't advise either but try and find a comfortable medium.

Texas - employment opportunities and real estate market.

Wisc , Indiana , and Ohio -> If you want to become a long term buy-hold investor.

Most importantly you need to visit state and communities before relocating.

Good luck moving forward.

Thanks for the initial responses.  I know that it is a very broad question, but I'm looking for a broad answer.  I'm just curious what other people think about the question.  I know I have seen houses in areas for under 1000, and heard of the areas in California for a 500k duplex.  Personally I wouldn't go for either, but for someone, both of those work which is why they sell at that price.  

Thanks for a couple of locations @Jenkins Ramon  I'm not too surprised to see any of those places on there.  And yeah I know I need to visit communities and take a lot more into account before I just pick up and move to one of these places.  I know for example that Milwaukee is not in my future because my wife hates the cold.  The cash-flow there is crazy, but unfortunately I don't think I'll be able to participate too much there.

So thanks so far, and keep up the responses.

I feel the same way " hates the cold "

Don't overlook utah, parts of it are doing well.  texas is probably the best market for sustained growth due to job creation, the midwest for cheap housing and cash flow.

@Benjamin DeLeon   If you are going to relocate, you want to find a place that has a good quality of life for your and your family (if you're married). Upon graduating, what do you plan to do, other than real estate? If you have a specific vocation you will be pursuing, you will want to go someplace that has opportunity for that, etc. 

Do you have the money now to invest, or will you need to save, etc.? Will you need to get a job and be working in order to qualify for loans? 

There's so many things that should be considered in such a decision, and the values of real estate are only a small part. You will want to take a thorough inventory of all that is involved, and then make a decision. Good luck! 

I would move to a place where there are a lot of high paying jobs and places that are continuing to see solid population growth and that makes me think of staying in the western US.

@Benjamin DeLeon

My husband is active duty military. We have lived in some of the strangest towns and most non-top tens towns. We have found houses that make sense in the "weirdest" areas. There are definitely areas that make sense and definitely ones that don't. 

My point is that I wouldn't move to an area just because of the real estate. We have moved because of the military orders and my husband career F-18 career. We have by no means lived in "sexy" areas. 

I personally would take the best paying job you can out of college. I would than save, save, save, save that is your down payment. When you get started to you need "lots" of start of funds!. The less "appealing" the town has been the better we have done. Depending on your degree, the less sexy towns might pay more!

Just my two sense.

Thanks for the responses.  Just in response, I'm not asking this question to know where to move as soon as I graduate.  I know that there are tons of things to consider and that real estate is just one.  What I was wondering more was just people's general opinions.   Where do you think makes sense and why?

Hi @Benjamin DeLeon
I recently finished grad school and had the same dilemma. I was in Austin, Tx. So it has fantastic weather, lots of tech industry (I'm an engineer) BUT expensive housing. I absolutely factored in the cost of living and the cost of real estate in my decision to come to Columbus. I find that the Midwest salaries are comparable to the east coast and higher from a cost of living standpoint. I have been here almost 6 months and I have been able to identify my target areas. I can buy houses in excellent neighborhoods for less than the suburban condo I bought in grad school. Columbus to me offers the best combination of cost of living, property values and vibrant social scene. The cities of Austin and Columbus have similar demographics.

@Ethan Bowen   I currently invest in Thermopolis and Worland, which is a little north of the center of the state.  Casper, Cheyenne, Douglas, Rawlins, etc are all booming hard, but I am gunshy about investing in boom towns.  I have seen 2 very big busts in Wyoming where investors went broke by the thousands.  You have to be very careful when you invest in boom towns.

@Richelle T.   wow seems like i am following all your posts haha, but i do agree i spent 8 years down in tx right outside of austin and the cost of living down there is crazy! Ohio and cbus are always rated one of the top places in the nation for bang for your buck. Cbus is also rated top on many other lists from fashion to fortune 500 companies. Cbus has a lot to offer and many people under estimate it. While many major cites in ohio are losing population cbus is steadily growing... All the old factories are shutting down in the places like youngstown and those people are moving to cbus.

Originally posted by @Benjamin DeLeon:

So I'm currently going into my senior year of college, and after I graduate I'm open to moving most anywhere.  One important aspect for me is that it is an area that has a profitable market for real estate as I want to begin investing.  So my question for everyone is if you could invest anywhere, where would it be and why?

Thanks in advance!

Hi Benjamin,

I would change the focus of the area and focus more in the people that you will be working with.

The stats and demographics of a location can be swindled to look good or bad.

Make sure you establish relationships with people that will have your best interest at heart and that offer a great after service no matter what they are selling.

Thanks and have a great day.

It really depends on your personal goals...I like Alabama!!!

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here