If someone says they'll email you some info, and then they don't, what do YOU do?

3 Replies

There's really no right or wrong answer here, I suppose, I'm just curious what others do in this situation. If you call a prospective lender, PM, etc., and speak to them for the first time and they say they'll email you some info (a brochure about their services, current interest rates, etc.), but then you never receive anything, what do you do?

On the one hand, it could be a bad sign of a poorly run business or lack of customer care. On the other hand, it could be an innocent mistake (typo in the email address or something), so they think you got the info but you didn't.

Wondering what others have done when this happened, and if you followed up, how did things turn out with that company/person? Was it a simple one-time error, or a sign of things to come that you wished you'd heeded?

I give them 2-3 days.  if they don't respond I don't do business with them.  Just like I had an insurance referral.  The guy forgot to call me for our set meeting time, I called him 20 minutes later and rescheduled for the next day.  He then called me 30 minutes late and I said "I don't want to do business with you"

To me that is just bad business practice, regardless if human error took place or not. I tend to follow up on things I send out by phone for two reasons. 1) This confirms receipt, if there was no reply already stating such and 2) I can either answer any questions the potential client may have or proceed to closing the deal.

I will say that, with my background in customer service/escalations, when it comes to customer service (and I do consider this as that) I will pick the service apart with a fine tooth comb. If one company/person is not able to deliver, the way that I expect them to (within reason, because mistakes do happen), I will take my business else where.

There is an old saying in business, How someone does anything is how they do everything. I used to have a postcard that looked like a report card. Grade f- subject followup or whatever. Had a little fun with that one for awhile.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.