Condos

6 Replies

Is investing in condos good or bad. Trying to turn around a neighborhood bad stigma. Also how to deal with a bad property manager from the condo association?

I like condos. Turning around a neighborhood, how are you planning to do that? Best way to remove a bad HOA manager is to join the board and voice for a new association manager. They might not be a bad manager. You might just have to manage the manager.

Frank

It all depends, we had a unit in one in Annandale, VA. Costs and assessments got to be a little much so dumped it at the peak in 2007. In a house now with a HOA, didn't like a few things so joined the board and helped adjust their thinking...

I lived in a townhome in NY for 12 years and the board was insane. Everyone hated it but did nothing about it. Then finally a few concerned residents hijacked the board and kicked out all the incumbents. Now the HOA is run by reasonable people (now that I left!).

As far as investing in townhomes, I tried very hard over the last year to make the numbers work but once you add in the HOA fees, I couldnt get it to cashflow properly even if they gave me the unit for free. I listened to a BP podcast (it was in the high 60's for the podcast #) and the investor gave a list of all the benefits of owning a single family rental. The list was so compelling that I switched my focus to houses and now I am set to close on two next week.

Part of my overall strategy is to experience appreciation so I am buying in areas that I think are slightly depressed but as Denver grows, these areas will turn around and become highly desirable due to the close proximity to Denver and nice views. 

Boston RE is a little pricey so you won't be able to buy as many units but each unit will probably hold its value over the long term.

how could there be a definitive answer on a question like this....

I own a condo and 2 SFH (just my opinion)

At first I couldn't see how condo's could make the #s work. but depending on the market here is a few thing to consider as a plus of owning condo as RI.

1. in the market i was looking you could get a condo for less than 1/2 of a SFH. being new to RI. The cheaper buy-in made a condo more appealing

2. being in a beach town Insurance can be very expensive on a SFH. however significantly cheaper on a condo when the HOA insures the building

3. Only time will tell.. but estimate there is less capital expenses in the long run.

here are some negatives i experienced.

1. selling a condo can be difficult plus i havent seen the appriecation, like i would with a SFH

2. HOA fees drive you crazy

I'm a big fan of condos and ultimately it comes down to the numbers. If you're starting out and need a lower price point to get into a property, if you're not interested in maintaining mechanical or roofs, if you want managed costs (HOA's) versus the occasional big ticket cost (hot water heater fails), they can be a great option. On the lower price end you will not see as much appreciation but you also shouldn't see a huge price drop if the market troughs, and you'll still be collecting rent. I have a condo that is worth $91k and cash flows $800/mo in Denver, I'd never see that on a SFH that I could afford.

What exactly do you mean by a "neighborhood bad stigma", buying one condo to turn that around might be something to think more about.

i am looking at a condo in foreclosure for $142,000 plan on putting $30,000 down payment the bank foreclosed on it at $123,900 every other condo for sale in the condominium same square footage 1 b 1b r on the market for anywhere between $168,000 to $210,000 buying the property non furnished furnishing it and getting the on site 3 rd party HOA management marketing they clam to do everything even the insurance on the building would i be making any profit to pay it off if i am buying holding and not touching any of the money keeping it invested

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here