Special needs housing

9 Replies

Does anyone know what agencies are good to target, to seek tenants for special needs housing?

A quick search on the internets revealed this website:

http://www.mdod.maryland.gov/Renting.aspx?id=208&e...

How to locate Special Needs Housing.  Right under the link to the database are all the forms you need as a landlord to fill out to be on the website!

If you are talking about housing that may meet the needs of a person with a disability, let your local DVR (Department of Vocational Rehabilitation) office know you have available housing. Also the VA (Veterans Administration). And of course any of your local community agencies that serve people with disabilities.

Thanks for the information.

Could this be a niche to focus in? 

I am thinking of buying houses and rehab to accommodate people with disabilities. Do the numbers work?

I'm also interested in learning how to get started in this... Did anyone answer, perhaps on a different thread if the numbers work as well as Nick Sidoti promotes? 

I just tried that and made a house 99 percent ready for disabled. unfortunately, I was not successful in finding an agency, organization, or a way to get disabled people in there.  so I advertised it as a regular house.  I was disappointed, honestly, thought it would be a niche market.. 

(Upvoted just because it's better to learn from someone else's mistake than to repeat it!)

@Russell Adams   google "community based living services" and your town to see what companies provide those services then contact them to ask if they have any houses needs with which you may be able to help.  

On brand new site Rentberry you can find amenity called "wheelchair accessible". But this type of apartments also includes some helpful modifications for disabled people. I was very interested about this question after a couple of meetings with local Disabled Society and to my mind,  NYC is a leader in this trend.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here