Re: Hunting for 203k leads with a realtor

Re: Hunting for 203k leads with a realtor

Investor · Pennsauken, NJ · Member since 2014 · 50 posts · 10 votes

Hey Everyone,

I'm trying to get leads on a multi-family property to house hack into using a 203k loan, and begin my buy and hold journey. My lender has a 203k specialty team, so that should be a plus. I am in the process of working with a realtor to run reports on my target area using mls and other databases. All of the HUD multifamily units seem to be large commercial apartments (nothing 3-4 unit), and most of the properties I see on MLS are firm at or above market value.

My question Is whether or not there is any way for a realtor to easily run a search for multifamily units in my target areas that aren't currently for sale.

My realtor is in the process of getting me a list of properties purchased 1980 and earlier (increased likelihood of equity), and non-owner occupied.  Once I get the multi-family unit lists, I plan to drive my target areas starting with those that have a great deal of equity in the hopes of seeing signs of a distressed property.  Maybe even knock/fire out some letters regardless of property appearance.

Any thoughts on my plan or how to get a list of not-for-sale multi-family properties via realtor databases would be greatly appreciated.  Also, if anyone has any other tips to help my search please chime in.

Mat

0Reply
4 views

4 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor · Oklahoma City, OK · Member since 2014 · 61 posts · 31 votes
    11y

    With access to the MLS your Realtor can pull any multi-family that has sold. They should be able to slice that anyway they want to: by time frame, by units, by area, by financing, etc.

    Might be worth a quick look to see if any MF on the market expired (listed but didn't sell) in the last year or so also. 

    Now, whether that breaks any MLS rules, I can't say for sure. Probably frowned upon a little bit to provide contact information (personal info) derived from the MLS data to someone looking to market to those owners.

  • Investor · Pennsauken, NJ · Member since 2014 · 50 posts · 10 votes
    11y

    @Tyler Weinrich Oh wow.  I didn't realize they had the ability to filter to that degree.  Thanks for that info. As far as the ethics/rules go, I'm leaving that to the realtor to determine. 

  • Investor · Oklahoma City, OK · Member since 2014 · 61 posts · 31 votes
    11y

    @Mathew Gunkel I pulled some of that sold/historical data for myself in OKC area and put every cash sale on a map. You can even get fancy with it and generate a heat map showing the "hot" spots for cash purchases. Could do the same for MF or something similar. 

  • Investor · Pennsauken, NJ · Member since 2014 · 50 posts · 10 votes
    11y

    @tyler weinrich Looking for cash sales is even better!  You know there's equity there.  Thanks for the tip.  I'll definitely use that.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.