Hold Metal Windows vs. New Vynal in a ReHab?

3 Replies

I am rehabbing a house built in 1959. Margins are tight. The house has old metal windows that close left to right (vs. standard up and down). The house probably has a dozen windows like this as well as a massive picture window in the living room. If the wood floors, bathrooms, kitchen, and hardware are redone, will leaving the windows decrease the value immensely? Is there a way to clean up the windows so they look nice? They function fine. Any ideas and opinions would be great!

Is this a rental or a flip? If it's a rental, I would not change the windows. I flip is a different matter. What is the price point you are going to be selling at? Will buyers want new windows at that price point? If so, their cost should have been figured in prior to buying the deal. You can get replacement windows installed (with old ones removed and discarded) for 200 - 250 per window. 

Thurmon Cohen | 609‑575‑8564 | http://www.thecmpro.com

On the surface, one concern I would have with the style of windows is if the tenants can escape through those windows in the event of an emergency.  I would also check with the town to see if those windows are up to code.

There may be others with more informed and educated input here, but as a lay-person, that's my input to your question.

First off, I'm a little embarrassed for spelling "vinyl" wrong.  Is there a way to edit my older posts so that I can eliminate these spelling errors?

This is a flip.  I'm new to the flipping game, and starting by flipping my own personal residence.  Houses in this area sell for anywhere between 200 - 300K.

I read a great post @ http://www.biggerpockets.com/forums/67/topics/84596-change-windows where they discussued this exact issue.  I think at the end of the day, I'm going to have to purchase new windows.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you