Charlotte, NC · Member since 2014 · 19 posts · 6 votes
I am rehabbing a house built in 1959. Margins are tight. The house has old metal windows that close left to right (vs. standard up and down). The house probably has a dozen windows like this as well as a massive picture window in the living room. If the wood floors, bathrooms, kitchen, and hardware are redone, will leaving the windows decrease the value immensely? Is there a way to clean up the windows so they look nice? They function fine. Any ideas and opinions would be great!
Real Estate Agent · Orange, NJ · Member since 2011 · 23 posts · 13 votes
11y
Is this a rental or a flip? If it's a rental, I would not change the windows. I flip is a different matter. What is the price point you are going to be selling at? Will buyers want new windows at that price point? If so, their cost should have been figured in prior to buying the deal. You can get replacement windows installed (with old ones removed and discarded) for 200 - 250 per window.
Real Estate Professional · Park Ridge, NJ · Member since 2014 · 42 posts · 6 votes
11y
On the surface, one concern I would have with the style of windows is if the tenants can escape through those windows in the event of an emergency. I would also check with the town to see if those windows are up to code.
There may be others with more informed and educated input here, but as a lay-person, that's my input to your question.
Charlotte, NC · Member since 2014 · 19 posts · 6 votes
11y
First off, I'm a little embarrassed for spelling "vinyl" wrong. Is there a way to edit my older posts so that I can eliminate these spelling errors?
This is a flip. I'm new to the flipping game, and starting by flipping my own personal residence. Houses in this area sell for anywhere between 200 - 300K.