• Investor
  • Portland, OR
Votes |
Next steps after driving neighborhoods

Keith K.
  • Investor
  • Portland, OR
Posted Nov 2 2014, 15:19

Hi BPers.  I took the advice of several BP podcasts and just drove (actually walked the dog) through my nearby neighborhoods.  I was mostly looking for properties that appeared vacant and/or unkept in an otherwise nice neighborhood.  Now I am using my city's online information tool for properties (portlandmaps.com) to find out things like whether these properties are owned by absentee owners and also checking on the sales history.  My goal from these walks and information searches is to get a list of properties that I may be able to get under contract off-market and at a good price and, at the same time, help out the owner by taking the property off their hands.  I've been just cold calling the owners to find out their situation and their plans for the properties. My goal, once I take ownership is to fix them up and have them as rentals.  

I have three questions:

1.  Are my criteria good for this strategy of 'driving the neighborhoods' or did I miss the point?

2.  When checking property information on sites like portlandmaps.com, what other information would be helpful to take away for each property.  I've been pulling the owner information and the sales history.  What else would be helpful for the strategy I've described above?  I wouldn't be opposed to moving over to other sites like agentpro247 or similar, but what information would help me to determine if these kinds of properties are worth cold-calling at all... like a first screen?

3.  Do you have any advice for how I should conduct a strategy like this, any changes I should make to it, and how to make it successful?

Thanks for taking your time.

Loading replies...