West Virginia, mountain mama, take me home? maybe?

5 Replies

So, we are still in the planning stages for building an intentional Autistic community in Pueblo. A few people are wanting to do something in West Virginia and asked for my input.  Looking on zillow, there seem to be some great deals.  I know nothing about the area other than it is beautiful and green and closer to an ocean than Colorado is. what do you all think?

If we start the thing in W, Virginia [or anywhere else] we will still be putting together the community in Pueblo.

Hello, I am from Charleston, WV and I am a Broker and Investor.   WV certainly has a some deals in comparison to the rest of the country in terms of cost of land and cost of living.  This project sounds pretty neat and I think the Wild and Wonderful hills of my home state could certainly provide a nice spread for something like this to prosper. I had been pondering developing a co-housing community in a certain spot on the outskirts of Charleston (about 300 Acres). PERFECT spot with old logging roads in place and very serene views of the Mountains.  The biggest obstacle was getting water to the place. It could be done though, I just can't justify the investment at this time. Anyways, sorry for the ramble.  This sounds like a really cool project so if you happen to explore this option further, I would love to lend my insight. 304-638-2738

One thing I might mention in favor of Pueblo CO (which is where I live)... is that Pueblo has excellent mental health services.  

Namely, due to the presence of the state mental hospital in Pueblo, Pueblo has specialized in mental health services... both inpatient and outpatient.  

This could be helpful in serving the Autistic community.

There can be some great deals but there are a few areas of high property values. Two of them are within 15 minutes of me in north central WV, one of which is where West Virginia University is located. As an episode of House Hunters a few years ago showed, some people are surprised when they see what the cost is of some of the homes around here because of simple supply and demand fundamentals. They hear WV and assume that everything is cheap here. You still won't find prices on the magnitude of California but they may be higher than what you may expect. But the vast majority of the state is inexpensive and it doesn't require traveling just a few miles from high priced areas to find cheaper land or homes which is a big plus.

To choose between CO and WV is difficult without knowing your requirements. We could go on and on about either state and still not mention anything relevant to your decision criteria.

If you do come to WV and are in need of a real estate agent in the north central region then let me know. My wife will be starting with ERA Signature Properties in January. :)

Native West Virginian here and I can tell you that there is definitely some very inexpensive property to be had throughout the state. If you search off the beaten path there is some beautiful land available. I'm from Huntington where Marshall University is located but I believe that the Greenbrier & Summers County areas of the state are perfect for what you're wanting to do.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.

By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.