• Sarasota, FL
Votes |
Impact of Leverage on Cash-on-Cash Returns

J Scott
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Sarasota, FL
ModeratorPosted Jan 7 2015, 17:35

In the spirit of truly understanding some important concepts behind investing decisions many of us are making, I wouldn't to start this thread...

Basically, I was surprised at the information I'm about to provide (I did this analysis in another thread a couple days ago and got some unexpected results), and figured a couple of you may be surprised as well.  At least for me, it will impact some decisions I make down the road...

Assume a rental property that generates 2% of its cost in monthly rent and that operates at a 50% expense ratio (actually, expenses + rent loss + capex).  Further, assume the property is leveraged somewhere between 0% (all-cash, no leverage) and 100% (fully leveraged at all-in acquisition cost).

The following graph plots two curves -- one representing a typical conventional loan amortization/rate and the other representing a typical portfolio loan amortization/rate -- with leverage amount indicated on the X-axis and it's resulting cash-on-cash return indicated on the Y-axis:

What I see in this graph:

• Below 60% leverage, CoC is basically flat, without much opportunity for leverage to impact CoC, regardless of type of loan
  • Between 60-80% leverage, amortization/rate of the loan will determine whether you can start to increase your CoC or not
  • Above 80%, any positive leverage will greatly increase your CoC, but the amortization/rate will play a HUGE role in the extent of the increase

The key takeaway for me is that, for lower amounts of leverage, conventional versus portfolio loans make no difference -- and, in fact, leverage doesn't make much of a difference at all. For medium amounts of leverage (60-80%), there is a big difference in CoC based on type of loan chosen. And for larger amounts of leverage, both loan choices are good, but conventional terms/rates are very beneficial.

There are some obvious implications here (for me, at least) in terms of:

• Whether I would even want to leverage at lower percentages, given the paperwork, DTI hit and loan costs
  • What types of loans I would pursue based on the amount of leverage available
  • The value of using the small amount of conventional loans available to their best advantage

Anyway, thought the results were interesting, and thought I would post them...enjoy!

Loading replies...