The impact of rising sea levels on coastal properties across the US

6 Replies

As I've been looking to purchase a property on a coastal area to run as an vacation rental I decided to check on the impact of rising levels due to climate change over the next decades to evaluate risky areas and how they will be affected over time. For those living or thinking about investing on coastal cities this article on the New York Times shows a forecast for the areas in risk. Also today CBS aired a video on how Miami is already been affected by rising sea levels. Definitely worth checking it out. 

http://www.cbsnews.com/videos/report-worlds-oceans...

http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2012/11/24/opin...     

Ariel, it does look gnarly for MDR. I have been surfing for 38 years and last year was the first time in my life the water did not get cold in the winter and this year is about the same. Something is drastically changing that is for sure. I made an offer in LA that is 1100 feet above sea level. That should be good for a few thousand years according to those reports. I had been hearing about this for years and was ignoring it for years. It was always cold in the winter water temp wise, well not anymore. 

Promotion
Sharestates
America's Private Lender
Receive Fix and Flip Funding Approval In As Little As 24 Hours!
Sharestates helps developers and brokers secure funding quickly with the most competitive terms.
Get Funded

Coastal RI I guess will be gone since they are not mentioned.  Anyway they did not answer the question on whether the hill we sit on will be waterfront or underwater. ..  I see most of my NJ friends are swimming though.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

We hate spam just as much as you