Career Change Opportunity

7 Replies

Hey everyone,

Currently I work for a plastic display company and have developed carpal tunnel and tendinitis in both hands due to continuous repetitive motion. I am going through the L and I process and have a work assessment appt this week. There is a very high chance they will deem me unable to continue this kind of work and then I will be eligible for retraining. I was wondering what may be a good field in real estate to get tained in. So far I have considered either home inspection or even appraisal. What are your thoughts or ideas?

Kevin Carbon

@Kevin Carbon   Hi Kevin. The real estate industry offers numerous career opportunities. The best thing about real estate is that you can choose any field that is of interest to you. In your post you mentioned home inspection and appraisal.  It seems to me that you are interested in these areas and may want to explore further. 

On this site you can get a lot of information by reading blogs and visiting different forums. There truly is a wealth of information here. 

No one can decide for you which area of real estate to hang your hat, nor should they. This is your decision and your choice to make. The BP community is here to help you gain knowledge and inspire you to act on what you learn. 

Best of luck in your new career. I for one would love to know what you ultimately decide to do.   Everyone in real estate can use the services of an appraiser and a home inspector.

Home inspectors is a long process consisting of apprenticeships and many unpaid hours.  Check you state guidelines.  But like many things the return for the time you put in will be worth the pay.  Home inspectors in my area charge $400-700 / inspection.  Most inspect 2-3 homes/ day.  From a pay stand point if money is what you are after I recommend home inspector. 

I guess it depends on whether you want to be hands on and in the field, in an office setting or a mix of both? 

Things to keep in mind:

• do you enjoy working with others or on your own?
  • start your own business? (self employed or employee?)
  • are you willing to invest in education - how much? how long?
  • desired income?
  • will you enjoy working with people/ the public?

I think the RE industry can be a rewarding, especially if one is service driven. I personally like property management, which is also something to consider. 

Hey everyone, thanks for the feedback! of course I want to make money, but as a new investor, I would like to be able to bring something to the table for other investors, so I thought that one of those jobs would do that and I would learn a lot about properties in the process. @Victoria Winters  , I will keep you in the loop, I sent you a colleague request. @Shawn M.  , that's good to know and I'm leaning more to that side, although @Ryan Naylor  , property management is not a bad idea either, gonna look into that.

Kevin

Washington Appraiser:

Experience

Before you may take the exam, you must:

• Find a certified appraiser willing to supervise your work experience as a licensed registered appraiser trainee.
  • Work under the supervisory appraiser to get a minimum of 2 years’ real estate appraiser experience (24 full months and 2,500 hours). Hours may be treated as cumulative in order to achieve the necessary hours of appraisal experience.

Washington Home Inspector:

Get educated

If you weren’t licensed before September 1, 2009, you’re required to take a board-approved, 120-hour Fundamentals of Home Inspection course, and mentor with an experienced home inspector for 40 hours of field training. See Approved course providers for a list of board-approved fundamental courses.

Washington Real Estate Agent:

Requirements

To qualify for a broker’s license, you must:

• Be at least 18 years old.
  • Have a high school diploma or equivalent.
  • Successfully complete 90 hours of approved real estate education within 2 years before applying for the exam. This education must include:
    • A 60-hour course in Real Estate Fundamentals.
    • A 30-hour course in Real Estate Practices.
  • Pass the broker’s exam.

I feel like this is waaay backwards. Agents should be where Home Inspectors are, Home Inspectors should be where Appraisers are, and Appraisers should be where agents are.  Which on has more legal liabilities?

If I could go back and do it over, I think I'd sign on with some type of investment brokerage, who deals primarily in income-producing properties. Property management has taught me a lot but I think there are even better avenues for learning the business. Whatever you decide to do, make sure you sign on with a company that will sponsor your professional education. That has been invaluable to me as classes for the individual can be prohibitively expensive.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.