Inheriting and hoping to rent our property in Kalamazoo / Portage, MI area.

6 Replies

We just inhertited a property in Portage, MI (the neighbor of Kzoo) close to one of there best schools in the area. I am hoping to rent it out here soon as we do not want to sell it as it has been in the family quite awhile. What is this area like, is it usually easy to rent in these areas? What are your typical tenants like? It seems like a great safe little city with a pretty good amount of things to do nearby. Just wondering what to expect coming into all this! Thanks for reading. ~Josh

Josh,

Where in Portage is the house? There are drastic differences in rental rates and desirability levels depending on location... although Portage isn't a large city, it still fluctuates more than you'd think.

I was born and raised in Portage and live 5 mins outside of it now, and would be happy to give you more insight based on whatever details you can provide.

You can also email send me a private message if you'd like to get into further detail. Although I have a full time career, I'm also licensed and invest in the local area.

Thanks,

Nate

Hi @Josh B. ,

You've come to the right place.  I'd take @Nate Miersma   up on his offer, and I'm happy to come take a look at the place/neighborhood as well and offer up my two cents.  I'd agree that you can have considerable variety, and if you can get a few 'boots on the ground' to check it out, it should really help long term.

Good luck, and I'll send you a private message as well for easier chatting.

@Nate Miersma   @Brandon Krieg  

Thank you! The property is a two story 3bd /2b and right in the westnedge and cherryview area. Its just a minute away from Central Middle School. I had checked around a bit here and there and saw rent closer to the better schools have the highest rental rates. 

The crime in Portage is almost nonexistence, lol maybe we should move there instead. Even the best areas in Chicago have something happen at least weekly somewhere.

Josh B. This is a pretty good area, Josh. There is a mix of older properties and neighborhoods and newer homes just south of there, and the location is reasonably good for families with school-aged children or who work at one of the major employers in town (5-7 minutes from Pfizer and Stryker to name two). If you'd like to discuss in detail feel free to shoot me a PM. Happy to help any way that I can.

Nate

@Josh B. One other note: you have the ability to be pretty picky with tenants in this location. Also, if you're looking for property management, I would highly recommend Jaqua Realtors locally here. I have no affiliation with them but hear very good feedback on their performance and have friends who have their properties managed by Jaqua. They charge 10%.

Portage has strong demand and there is often very little vacancy. You shouldn't have a problem with that location! Is the home updated and in good condition?

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.