Partnering with other investors

2 Replies

Hi,

I just went to my first ever Real Estate investor meeting and it was really  a great experience to meet other investors both new and veterans, I was blown away and unfortunately didn't write down all the questions that i wanted to ask! Well, I always hear about investors partnering with other investors, how exactly do investors partner? I know partnering with anyone can be a challenging experience so I'm just curious what type of roles does each investor have in terms of role/time/money/etc,etc and the possible problems that you all have run into. I'm still learning the ins and outs of this (being an accidental investor and having a full time job) but I'm just digesting as much as possible and it's really interesting. After acquiring 4 properties (rentals) I feel lucky that the market was good and realize now I really have to do my homework to be successful. I'm getting to the point that financing is getting a little tighter and lucky that I have a full time job which is helping a ton to finance this business but hate to let opportunities pass by while I'm saving for the next deal!

Thanks! 

If someone is just being interested in being a money partner you have an attorney draft a promissory note backed by the property (mortgage document). If they want to be equity partners start a LLC with each of you owning 50% of the company. The LLC should only be dedicated to the property you are partnering on. An attorney can easily do this for you.

Hi @Eddie Werner  , thanks for the response, a real estate investor partnering with a money partner is the most common partner scenario? I could see things getting a bit more complicated if we are talking about rentals where maintenance costs complicates matters.  I'm running into an issue now that I can't qualify for a loan but do have some money saved but just can't get approval (an old short sale) so that's bringing me into this uncharted territory, I can try to see if it makes sense creative financing from an institution (so far no luck) or do the partnering thing which I have 0 experience or just wait until I'm able to get loans again. 

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you